Vaccination

Does the PCV vaccine result in a fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy had his first dose of PCV vaccination. He is suffering from fever now. But, the doctor, who gave vaccination, told me that the PCV vaccine will not cause fever.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two types of PCV available (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine). Painless PCV, which does not cause fever in 99% cases and painful PCV, which is known to cause fever in 70% cases. The cost of painless is more than painful one. Hence, people do not give painless norm...  Read Full »

Is Acyclovir routinely prescribed after shingles vaccination?

Query: Hi doctor, Just to be safe, I got shingles vaccine from a local clinic, as my healthcare provider was out. I had to get two shots. They advised me to get a prescription for Acyclovir, a herpes suppression medication, after getting the shot. I did so. Now I am genuinely confused about why they had m...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Conveniently Acyclovir after shingles vaccine is not used in the average-risk population. Do you have a compromising immune condition? Like HIV (human immunodeficiency viruses), cancer, or other inborn diseases? Thank you.  Read Full »

When are BCG and OPV given after birth?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 10 days old. The doctor has given only hepatitis B vaccines at the time of birth. And, they planned BCG and OPV-B after 15 days. Is that fine?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question and I know that you are very concerned about your child, but do not worry. Ideally BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin), OPV (oral polio vaccine) and hepatitis B should be given at birth. But, if they have not been given at birth, then BCG and OPV can ...  Read Full »

What can cause neutropenia in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby boy is 3.5 months old. When he was 38 days old, he got a fever. I went to the hospital and the doctor said any infant who has fever without any other symptoms may have meningitis and so lumbar puncture was performed. It was positive and the WBC was 570 (clear), monomorph 80% an...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your baby boy probably had viral meningitis looking at the positive WBC and high monomorph along with a negative culture. Now, that he does not have any f...  Read Full »

Can I get MMR and flu vaccine on the same day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a quick question concerning vaccinations. I want to get an MMR vaccine booster shot (I got it when I was a young boy, and again around when I was in college about 30 years ago) and my annual flu vaccine later this week. Can I receive these two vaccines together on the same day? I...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Family Physician, Infectious Diseases Specialist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I wanted to know whether you had taken MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine in childhood, and whether you had measles earlier. If not, then it is advisable. Even if you had the measles vaccine in childhood, without having measles, then also it is advisable. Also, w...  Read Full »

What precaution should I take for my 15-month-old kid before getting the pending vaccination?

Query: Hello doctor, My 15-month-old daughter underwent coarctation surgery at nine months. Her vaccines since then are pending, which include MMR, OPV, hepatitis, etc. As per the vaccination schedule, she last received a vaccine at seven months. As a post-surgical procedure, she is put on hypertension co...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are as follows: You can give one dose of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) and hepatitis right now, followed by OPV (oral polio vaccine) one month later. If taking IPV, it can be given right away. A month after OPV, the rest of the vacc...  Read Full »

What does HSV IgG positive mean?

Query: Hi doctor, As my wife had a failed premature delivery, we both had given for chromosome test. The result showed positive for HSV IgG, rubella IgG and CMV IgG. We are very much bothered. Please tell us the reason for this. Does it mean that we are infected with that virus before? Please clarify.  Read Full »

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your karyotyping were normal and it gives the meaning of no chromosomal abnormalities (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Coming to IgG positive test, when you contract a viral infection or after vaccination, the antibody produced ...  Read Full »

What are the consequences of giving improperly refrigerated vaccine to a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I do want to vaccinate my baby with Avaxim 80 second dose. But, the vaccine is stored in the refrigerator at doctor chamber. Due to power outage for 18 hours, what shall I do? Please advise me.  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The storage temperature for the vaccine is 2 to 8 degree Celsius. In the case of 18 hours of power cut, I do not think that the refrigerator would have maintained that temperature. So, I would not recommend such vaccine. For further information consult a paediatrician...  Read Full »

Can vaccines be delayed for an infant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am blessed with a baby boy (3 months 10 days). I am sharing with you his vaccination card. All vaccines are almost due because of the Corona Pandemic. Most of the clinics are almost closed. Will you please suggest, whether these vaccines can be delayed a bit till the suspension of lock...  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern for your child. I would say you can wait for some more time till the end of this month as probably after this month lockdown restrictions will be over. I believe you should go according to your pediatrician as he would understand the situat...  Read Full »

My child is 1-year-old. I need advice regarding my child vaccination.

Query: Hello doctor, I need advice regarding my child vaccination. I am moving abroad, and the treatments are pending. My kid has completed one year.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. By one year of age, a child should have received birth vaccines like BCG (bacilli Calmette-Guerin), polio drops. Then three monthly shots of DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus), Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b), polio injection and hepatitis B. 2. By nine...  Read Full »