Q. Why is my 10 weeks old baby refusing to feed after vaccination?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

My baby is 10 weeks old, and I had her vaccinated yesterday (Pentaxim and Hepatitis B). Since the vaccination, she is refusing to breastfeed. She takes a suck and starts crying. Even when I pump and give her milk, she drinks hardly 15 ml and falls asleep. Is it normal? What can I do?

#

• Pentaxim is Diphtheria vaccine, which causes comparatively less pain and fever. But the same can cause pain and discomfort in few babies. Maybe your baby is having pain and discomfort due to which she is refusing to breastfeed.
  • Sometimes, rotavirus vaccine can also cause refusal to feed. Was rotavirus vaccine also given?
  • I suggest giving Paracetamol drops (Crocin or Calpol) 0.6 ml, every six hours today. This will help in reducing the pain and discomfort, so the baby's feeding might improve. This generally lasts for 48 hours. If the issue continues, please review with your pediatrician.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday was Diphtheria and Hepatitis B vaccine only. Rotavirus vaccine was given on fifth of this month, and we had no issues then. She does not have a fever, but she is drowsy and refusing to suck. She sucks for two minutes and cries. She takes 15 ml with the spoon and sleeps off. Is it possible that the position of feeding in an issue? I gave her my finger and she sucked on it, but refusing to suck my nipples.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Please give the Paracetamol drops and see if she does not have a fever. That may help. Any Diphtheria vaccination does have some pain and discomfort, which may interfere with feeding.
  • If she is active, otherwise, you can wait for today. Try an hour after giving the drops. If she continues to refuse feed, try to feed her at frequent intervals. If any other symptoms arise or she continues to feed inadequately, she needs to be checked.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|