Q. Is vasectomy a safe procedure?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

How safe is vasectomy? In the long term, will it affect my sexual life? Will it affect the capability to have erection of penis? Will it cause any kind of erectile problems? What are the side effects of vasectomy? How long does it take to heal? Is it possible to lead a normal, active life after the procedure? If given a choice of either vasectomy or tubectomy, which is better?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I like to assure you that vasectomy is a normal procedure and do not cause any impact on sexual life. It does not affect your life in any way, except the possibility of impregnating women, which is the ultimate aim of vasectomy.
  • With recent techniques, you can go to work on the next day of the procedure. There are no side effects other than the slight pain for a few days and it can be controlled with analgesics. You need to use contraceptive for a period of time.
  • Given a choice, I must say that both are equally effective and vasectomy have a slightly higher rate of success, although no significant differences noted.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|