Q. How long does Yasmin or Lucette birth control take to work?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

How long does Yasmin or Lucette birth control take to work? I have just started my third month and heard that it takes about three months to work. However, I have already seen much improvement and it did not break me out really badly in the first few weeks which it did for many others. I am taking it along with Erythromycin, just wondering if things should change soon.

Previously, Roaccutane, clear skin for about six months, breaking out again but nowhere near as severely and only really on my cheeks with hormonal ones on my jaw and chin.

#

Erythromycin is a hepatic enzyme inhibitor meaning it will delay the metabolism of Lucette (Ethinylestradiol and Drospirenone) thus allowing increased levels of the hormone in the bloodstream for a longer duration than normal. Hence the effect of contraception will not be hampered but the side effects of the pill may be more apparent, including acne breakouts. As for the pill working, it should start right away in terms of contraception if you are taking it strictly according to the schedule.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »

Delayed Periods: When to Suspect Pregnancy?

Article Overview: This article discusses the possibility of unintended pregnancies in young sexually active women and suggests some hints on timing the intercourse to minimize the risk of unplanned pregnancies, and consequently their adverse effects on the female reproductive health. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Being sexually active brings pleasure along with its own set of risks, unwanted pregnancies being one of them. A delayed period could be a sign you are pregnant, but not always. Periods can be late due to various other factors such as stress, illness, exhaustion, contraceptive pills, obesity, thyroi...  Read Article

Emergency Contraception: Alleviate Anxiety About Unwanted Pregnancy

Article Overview: Whenever a female has unprotected intercourse without using any kind of contraception, a chance of pregnancy is present. The female sometimes does not want to bear the risk of having a child at that point in her life. So, emergency contraception options are beneficial in such a case, to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. In this article, we will discuss in detail about the methods of emergency contraception available and their mechanisms. Read Article

Emergency contraception is a method to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse has taken place. Methods Hereby, you can see different methods with the dose of drugs. Hormonal pill. IUCD (intrauterine contraceptive device). 1. Hormonal pills: Two doses of oral combined contra...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now