Q. Can using Vaseline during sex cause yeast infection?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I was having sex using Vaseline. The next day I found a rash under my foreskin and it is like peeling and redness on my penis head. I was having coconut oil for treating the itchiness and today I see red blood blister like things around the corona of the glans. My wife said she got yeast after using Vaseline. I am concerned about what it might be.

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see macerated scaling and superficial erosions on the glans. This seems like a penile yeast infection.

I suggest you take an oral antifungal such as tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for three days. In addition, I suggest you apply a topical antifungal like Candid-B cream (Clotrimazole and beclomethasone dipropionate), twice daily for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can you name any specific antifungal cream which I can get here?

Why is my penis top red with a white pimple?

Query: Hello doctor, My penis top is red with a white pimple. I used Mupirocin ointment four months back. Then again the doctor gave Betnovate RD a month back and I used it three times. Now, my skin looks very dry and ugly. The redness has reduced but the skin looks abnormal.  Read Full »

Why do I have vaginal tears after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had rough sex recently and it caused a tear in my vagina. When I use a mirror to examine myself I can see some of the cuts. It is near the entrance of my vaginal canal but not inside, positioned more towards my perineum. It has been healing for two days now and still really hurts. I...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best cure for xerosis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with xerosis. I had consulted many doctors and wasted so much money without any use. I am really fed up with this. Please suggest the best way to cure this.  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»