Q. Can using Vaseline during sex cause yeast infection?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I was having sex using Vaseline. The next day I found a rash under my foreskin and it is like peeling and redness on my penis head. I was having coconut oil for treating the itchiness and today I see red blood blister like things around the corona of the glans. My wife said she got yeast after using Vaseline. I am concerned about what it might be.

#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see macerated scaling and superficial erosions on the glans. This seems like a penile yeast infection.

I suggest you take an oral antifungal such as tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for three days. In addition, I suggest you apply a topical antifungal like Candid-B cream (Clotrimazole and beclomethasone dipropionate), twice daily for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can you name any specific antifungal cream which I can get here?

#

Lotrimin cream or Canesten cream. Regards.

|