Q. Is it normal to have vasovagal syncope at 17 years of age?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 17 years old. Before two weeks, I got fainted in bed for a prolonged period. After standing, I went to emergency and I was diagnosed with arrhythmia. The doctor told me that I need to have a pacemaker. Then I went for a second opinion and the doctor told me that it is a simple case of neurocardiogenic syncope. So I bought a pulse watch and noticed my pulse dramatically while sitting or standing. Sometimes, I have my pulse around 130 beats per minute and my pulse falls low at night below 34 beats per minute. I am really worried. Is it a simple case of dysautonomia or something else?

#

It seems to be a vasovagal episode and it leads to loss of consciousness. This gets support from postural tachycardia. It is necessary to review the cause of the arrhythmia. A cardiac ultrasound can be done. A tilt test and holter monitor can be done to identify the cause. You can consult a physician for the above-mentioned issues.

|