Vasovagal Syncope

Why did my 14-year-old daughter faint in the morning?

Query: My 14years old daughter fainted three days back in the morning when she woke up to study for her test. Her pulse was normal during the episode.. She is okay now but i want to know what could have caused it and prevention of further occurence.  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I hope she is doing fine now. There are numerous causes for fainting (syncope). 1. Dehydration- improper intake of water may lead to dehydration Anemia/ menstrual cycle may also lead to syncope in female adolescents 2.vasovagal- emotional upset, anxiety , sudden standing from sitting pos...  Read Full »

Is it normal for the heart to stop for 11 seconds during vasovagal syncope?

Query: I'm a 21 year old male and take no medications. 4 years ago I started having Vasovagal Syncope episodes that have increased in frequensy over the years and I have now passed out from it around 10 times. My triggers for it are blood, needles, and damage to the wrists. My clinic reccomended that I wea...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Thanks for the query 1. First thing know that vaso vagal syncope is not dangerous. Try to avoid circumstances which lead to syncope. 2. When you feel that you are having syncope (prodrome), escape from that area/scene. Sit down on floor in squatting position, close fists tightly, drink 2 glasses ...  Read Full »