Q. What is the effect of congenital heart disease during pregnancy?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

My wife is pregnant now with nearly 10 weeks. She has congenital heart disease, so I need some clarity from you for getting the successful delivery. All reports including echo and ultrasound scan report are attached here for your reference. Importantly, she has not got any symptoms till now and she is like a normal person with her daily activities. Can we continue this pregnancy? Is it safe for both mother and baby? I request you to provide your detailed opinion on the same.

#

• As per your wife's reports, she is having perimembranous vsd (ventricular septal defect) and severe pulmonary stenosis (PS). But, she does not have any complaints.
  • Patients with severe PS will mostly tolerate pregnancy and 8 mm vsd will not be a concern.
  • As cath study (cardiac catheterization) will be harmful for baby (fetus), repeat the echocardiogram in one to two months and consult if she has complaints of breathlessness or any other.
  • It will be safe provided she should not go in cardiac failure which is very rare.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|