Q. Do you think my condition is vestibular migraine?

Dr. Deepthi. M
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2021

I talked to you a few weeks back regarding my condition. Unilateral vestibular hypofunction caused may be due to vestibular neuritis. I have attached the test results for your review. I also have mild cervical spondylosis but the pain is almost gone but there is some stiffness in the neck and occipital muscles.

• Do you think this is neuritis or Meniere's disease - not sure what the difference is - I have a constant sense of imbalance.
  • The doctor suggested a Gabapentin medicine. Is this considered a vestibular suppressant and should I take it?
  • What are vestibular migraines and do you think I have this situation?
#

Your unilateral vestibular imbalance could be because of some previous attack of vestibular neuritis which has left back its impressions. I am saying this because at present you do not have any fever, nausea, or vomiting nor any ringing sounds in your ear.

Yours is just a vestibular imbalance added on with some cervical spondylitis issues. Your condition cannot be called Meniere's as your symptoms do not fit into it.

Gabapentin is a kind of antiepileptic drug which can act on subtle unusual presentations of fits or sometimes even unusual migraine. The doctor must have prescribed it to rule out such situations by a trial course of medication. I suggest you try it for a week and look at the response. If your giddiness is not responding, stop using that drug.

But my advice would be to avoid any drug. Keep doing your physiotherapy to your neck as well as vestibular rehabilitation exercises. Maintain good postures during work. Allow your body to compensate and adjust itself. Be patient and believe me they would definitely help.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Do you think my condition is vestibular migraine? I have severe light-sensitivity especially on cloudy days and also brain fog situation. Please suggest.

#

Vestibular migraine is a very subtle situation and very difficult to diagnose. If your light sensitivity lasts for two to three days, it could suggest migraine.

Do not worry. Whatever your condition may be, they are very vague. All of them improve with your exercises. Stress will worsen your condition. So, do not take stress and do relaxation techniques like meditation and morning walk.

Have a good day.

|