Q. My spouse has pain in the jaw and head due to a swollen lymph node in the neck. Please help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Hello, I am reaching out on behalf of a spouse, looking for a second opinion. The lymph node on left side of neck has been swollen for some time now, has cause continues pain in neck, jaw and back of Head. Have done a ultrasound which came back normal also seen 2 ENT specialist and one nurse practitioner, none could determine on what is the cause and if there is anything to do to make it go away.

Pain is now moving into left arm hand and leg. Very concerned on what could be causing the pain or if there is anything to make pain go away, maybe even if this is a common symptom of something that might ring a bell to you.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Hi!

Thanks for briefing about the problem in concern.

With the symtpoms you have mentioned, one the possibilities i can think of is a probable cervical spondylitis with probable nerve entrapement.

It is very unlikely for a lymph node in the neck not to be picked up an ultrasound device and that is why i feel the pain in the neck and back of the head could be due to muscle spasm secondary to some chsnges in the cervical spine.

Tingling pain extending to the arms but ability to lift the hand and carry out daily chores indicates there is no major insult to the nerve and usually indicates minor entrapement of the nerve or vascular compromise to the associated major branch of the nerve.

To make a diagnosis, i would suggest you to get a MRI of cerival spine done and also consult an orthopaedic spine surgeon to ascertain and confirm the possibility of cervical spine pathology.

For now, good hot fomentation and a muscle relaxant containing Chlorzoxazone and diclofenac one tab in the morning and night after meals should suffice. He can also use a good topical antispasmodic gel on the effected area to give some temporary relief.

I hope this answers your query. If there is anything more that you need to know, please do inform us and we will revert back to you ASAP. Warm regards

|