Q. Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on May 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

• For vitamin D deficiency you need to take capsule Cholecalciferol 60,000 IU once a week for six weeks.
  • Vitamin D is necessary for our body for general health and for calcium absorption into our body. So, indirectly it helps to maintain bone health.
  • Vitamin D is synthesized by our body when we expose to sunlight.
  • Your serum Iron is a bit on the lower side. we need your complete blood picture, peripheral smear and serum ferritin before suggesting therapy for that.
  • We should be sure about the diagnosis if you have low hemoglobin before starting supplements and to know how long to be given.
  • Kindly get CBP (complete blood picture), peripheral smear and serum ferritin level. Then get back to me for further management.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it true that large dose of Vitamin D supplement should always be taken with some magnesium supplement?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through your query.

• There are reports suggesting concomitant use of magnesium, but guidelines have not been formed for routine prescription.
  • In few countries, where RDI - reference daily intake of magnesium is low there it may become problem as large doses of Vitamin D may precipitate magnesium deficiency.
  • I suggest you tablet Cram Nil (Magnesium bisglycinate) 360 mg once daily in the afternoon for about weekly three doses to continue for six weeks during the course of therapy for vitamin D deficiency. You consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the report to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

From my reports are there any preventive measures I should take for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 40-year-old male. I am a vegetarian. I pursue an active lifestyle. I do not smoke or drink. I am a long distance endurance marathon runner. I also strength train three days a week and run two days a week. I got my sugar test, thyroid profile and vitamin D levels checked yesterday...  Read Full »