Q. Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?

#

• For vitamin D deficiency you need to take capsule Cholecalciferol 60,000 IU once a week for six weeks.
  • Vitamin D is necessary for our body for general health and for calcium absorption into our body. So, indirectly it helps to maintain bone health.
  • Vitamin D is synthesized by our body when we expose to sunlight.
  • Your serum Iron is a bit on the lower side. we need your complete blood picture, peripheral smear and serum ferritin before suggesting therapy for that.
  • We should be sure about the diagnosis if you have low hemoglobin before starting supplements and to know how long to be given.
  • Kindly get CBP (complete blood picture), peripheral smear and serum ferritin level. Then get back to me for further management.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is it true that large dose of Vitamin D supplement should always be taken with some magnesium supplement?

#

I had gone through your query.

• There are reports suggesting concomitant use of magnesium, but guidelines have not been formed for routine prescription.
  • In few countries, where RDI - reference daily intake of magnesium is low there it may become problem as large doses of Vitamin D may precipitate magnesium deficiency.
  • I suggest you tablet Cram Nil (Magnesium bisglycinate) 360 mg once daily in the afternoon for about weekly three doses to continue for six weeks during the course of therapy for vitamin D deficiency. You consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the report to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|