Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How would you know if you have a hormonal imbalance or insulin resistance?

Answered by
Dr. Afifa Nighat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

Hi there, I just want to find out, how would you know if you have a hormone imbalance or insulin resistance? I have been struggling with my weight for 3 years now, I was on the pill and went off this year, my weight has increased by 16kg in the 3 years that I was on birth control, I urinate every 30 to 60 minutes, I have a puffy and round face, I have tried dieting, weight loss tablets, exercise but the weight won't budge. I also get headaches almost every day and I'm tired all the time. And I get hot flushes. I am 22 years old. Thank you

Dr. Afifa Nighat

Family Physician General Practitioner

hello welcome to icliniq! hope you're doing fine! Well, insulin resistance commonly occurs in obese patient resulting in a unified diagnosis of Metabolic syndrome . Subnormal glucose response to an endogenously or exogenously administered insulin defines insulin resistance. In your case, polycystic ovarian disease and Cushing 's disease needs to be ruled out. Birth control pills are associated with 3% risk of weight gain. Consult gynaecologist for an alternative method of contraception e.g by using condoms. Also to do an ultrasound to look for polysyctic disease. Get your TSH and serum FT4 levels, 9 am. serum cortisol levels and fasting blood glucose levels done . They will provide an insight into what's really happening with you. I Hope that answers your queries! Best wishes.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please suggest a cure for dark skin around pubic region.
I have headache, weight gain, and altered taste with menstrual changes. Please help.
Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full »

Which tests should I undergo to determine hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hi doctor, My problem is that I am having man boobs and love handles. They just will not go away. I workout and reduced a lot of fat, but the fat in this area is stubborn. I want to know whether there is any hormonal imbalance in my body like high content of estrogen. What tests should I undergo to ...  Read Full »

My TSH value is 6, but I was not suggested to take any medicine. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done my TSH test recently and the result is 6.0 but my doctor did not suggest any medication. What should I do now? I am having many problems like weakness, gaining weight, dizziness, trembling, back pain, and waist pain. My skin is getting pale and dry day by day. I remain f...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.