Q. How would you know if you have a hormonal imbalance or insulin resistance?

Dr. Afifa Nighat
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

Hi there, I just want to find out, how would you know if you have a hormone imbalance or insulin resistance? I have been struggling with my weight for 3 years now, I was on the pill and went off this year, my weight has increased by 16kg in the 3 years that I was on birth control, I urinate every 30 to 60 minutes, I have a puffy and round face, I have tried dieting, weight loss tablets, exercise but the weight won't budge. I also get headaches almost every day and I'm tired all the time. And I get hot flushes. I am 22 years old. Thank you

Dr. Afifa Nighat

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

hello welcome to icliniq! hope you're doing fine! Well, insulin resistance commonly occurs in obese patient resulting in a unified diagnosis of Metabolic syndrome . Subnormal glucose response to an endogenously or exogenously administered insulin defines insulin resistance. In your case, polycystic ovarian disease and Cushing 's disease needs to be ruled out. Birth control pills are associated with 3% risk of weight gain. Consult gynaecologist for an alternative method of contraception e.g by using condoms. Also to do an ultrasound to look for polysyctic disease. Get your TSH and serum FT4 levels, 9 am. serum cortisol levels and fasting blood glucose levels done . They will provide an insight into what's really happening with you. I Hope that answers your queries! Best wishes.

|