Q. How would you know if you have a hormonal imbalance or insulin resistance?

Dr. Afifa Nighat
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

I am 22 years old. I am struggling with a problem of weight gain for three years now. I took a birth control pill and stopped it this year. My weight has got increased up to 16 kilograms in these three years. I urinate every 30 to 60 minutes. I have a puffy round face. I have tried dieting and exercise. I have also taken weight loss tablets to reduce my weight. But these did not help me. I also have headaches almost every day and I am tired all the time. I also have hot flushes. How to find whether I have a hormonal imbalance or insulin resistance in my body? Please help me.

#

Insulin resistance occurs commonly in obese patients resulting in a diagnosis of metabolic syndrome. There is a subnormal glucose response to the endogenous or exogenously administered insulin. This defines insulin resistance. In your case, it is necessary to rule out polycystic ovarian disease and Cushing's syndrome. Birth control pills cause a three percent risk of weight gain. Consult a gynecologist to have an alternative method of contraception. For example, you can use condoms. Also, do an ultrasound to diagnose polycystic disease. Check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and serum FT4 (free thyroxine) levels, serum cortisol, and fasting blood glucose levels. They can provide you a good diagnosis.

|