Weight Gain

Why do I feel tired, have insomnia, and weight gain after getting thyroid glands removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had both my thyroid glands removed eight years ago, and a small amount was left (in the size of half of my small nail). Since then, I am getting my blood test done every year, which comes back normal. I do not understand this as everybody needs two thyroid glands to work properly, an...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not the size of the thyroid gland, but it is the function that matters. In most of the thyroid gland removal, the left over gland will start hyper functioning and hence will take over the body function. So, if your blood work is normal means that a small part...  Read Full »

What are the ways to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. You did not mention your height and weight and any previous history, if any. The weight of a person should be proportional to its height.You can calculate it by BMI (body mass index). If your BMI is below 18.5 then you are underweight and you ...  Read Full »

What are the ways to improve body weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I weight 55 kg and height 5 feet 10 inches. I want to know how to increase the weight as I had tried so many ways to improve it but failed. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Try the below suggestions if you already have no done it, 1) Try to have a mini-meal or snacks (like boiled cereal sprouts, nuts, etc.) apart from your regular meals. 2) If your level of physical activity is more, accordingly you have to increase your calorie intak...  Read Full »

What should I feed my 3-month-old baby to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor,My baby is 3-month-old she was having a fever now with a weight of 5.8 kg. What should I give to gain more weight and look humpty she looks too much weak also.  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 5.8 at three months is fine. The child should not be Humpty. A good weight is must, not under or over. If she had a fever, the most common is viral fever characterized by fever and nasal discharge with or without mild cough, and child will be active otherwise. If she...  Read Full »

I am hypothyroid for 25 years and had gained weight recently. Is this worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, Is this something I should worry about? I have been hypothyroid for 25 years and have recently gained about 25 lbs. Thyroid ultrasound states, history of goiter. We have no previous examination available for comparison. Both thyroid lobes are diminished in size. The right thyroid lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your weight gain is due to hypothyroidism and probable physical Inactivity. I need to know what is your recent TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level if it is not in a reasonable range, your medication dose needs to be adjusted. Also, do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old and my height is 5'7" and my weight is 57kg. My problem is related to my reduced body growth and development. I regularly take diet 3-4 times a day and drink about 3 litres of water a day. Besides this, I have also taken health supplements like horlicks/enduramass in...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are unable to gain weight, you should be evaluated for organic causes behind it. It can however be just constitutional. But it is not uncommon to have some organic causes behind this problem. If there is any organic cause, it should be evaluated. If you have an...  Read Full »

I have a migraine problem and weight loss. Please suggest me how to gain weight.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a migraine problem but side by side I have a problem of weight loss too. I am married and have two children. Please suggest me how to gain weight.  Read Full »

Dr. Swapan Banerjee

Dietician, Fitness Expert, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Migraine is such a disorder with some symptoms like headache, nasal, eye, forehead pressure, etc., climate or weather change or allergic prone also. Any time often can be attacked. There fore I think no direct relation with weight. So you have taken both but in a sep...  Read Full »

Please give some health tips to gain weight.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to increase my weight. Advise me for proper diet planning. Give healthy tips for a diet to increase my weight.  Read Full »

Dr. Sruthi B Ramesh

Ayurveda Specialist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Healthy diet to gain weight includes, 1. Whole fat milk. 2. Fruits like papaya, apple etc,. 3. Whole wheat products. 4. Dry fruits and nuts. Include the above regularly in your diet. Additionally, ayurvedic medicine called Kushmanda rasayana which is a pumpkin prepara...  Read Full »

My son has gained 18 kg weight in last two years. Is there a problem with his thyroid function?

Query: Hello doctor,My son is of 20 years old. He has gained 18 kg in last two years. Now he weighs 91 kg and height 5'10". We had a blood test, and T3 and T4 are normal. TSH is 0.692. Is there a problem with his thyroid function?  Read Full »

Dr. Archana

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels should be 0.5 to 5 depending on which international unit is used. Kindly check with your lab, whether that is normal for the age. Usually, they will give you a printed report only if it falls within the range, then no need to ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a lactose-free diet for weight gain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 55 kg. I take vegetables, egg, fish but not meat. I am lactose intolerant for the past three years. If I take any milk products, it causes gastritis instantly, and I have to take an antacid. I cannot take whey protein because of thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Durga Kumari

Dietician, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that you are suffering from lactose intolerance, which means a decreased ability to digest milk sugar that is, lactose. You need not worry because you can have soy products like soy milk, tofu, and soy yogurt. Do not take whey protein or any other pr...  Read Full »