Weight Gain

What products can I use to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 21 years old and is very thin. Her weight is only 33 kg and height is 5'4". Since her birth she is of low weight and does not have any medical problems. Kindly advice some treatment plan that would help her to increase her weight. How long will it take for her to gain we...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recombinant human growth hormone that is somatropin is used in most of the cases. But, that is a prescription medicine as this is used under clear indications after physical examination of growth hormone levels tested by a laboratory. Her family physician...  Read Full »

What causes weight gain, sweating, and tiredness?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I ordered thyrocare test. The test report shows total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 117 ng/dL, total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 10.9 µg/dL, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 9.04 µIU/mL, FT3 - 3.03, FT4 - 1.08 and anti-microsomal antibody (AMA) - 315. My BP is 145/90 mmHg. I have s...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having symptoms of hypothyroidism and the reports too are suggesting the same. I recommend you to start tablet Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) 50 mcg every morning in empty stomach and repeat TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) after two months. Revert back after two mo...  Read Full »

Is there any alternate for medicine for hypothyroid condition?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before I found that I have thyroid with high TSH 18. Then I put off some weight and did morning walk and running, then it decreases to 14. Now I left the exercise because I met with an accident. Now I have done my test again it was 18 again. Now I consulted the doctor but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you must have to understand the problem. You are suffering from medical condition called hypothyroidism. In this condition, the thyroid hormone production decreases. Thyroid hormone is necessary for the metabolism of the body and in the absence of this ...  Read Full »

Is hypothyroidism likeiy to cause weight gain, edema in legs, ankles and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gained 50 lbs in the last six months. I have pitting edema in my legs, ankles, and feet, by the end of the day my feet and ankles are severely swollen and the skin feels stretched. When I go to squat down my legs feel like a balloon that is about to burst. My arms and hands are...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your weight gain is most probably due to fluid retention in the body and it is the same fluid retention that is causing edema of your legs, arms, and hands. The cause for this fluid retention could be low protein levels, kidney problem or heart problems. I would ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel tired, have insomnia, and weight gain after getting thyroid glands removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had both my thyroid glands removed eight years ago, and a small amount was left (in the size of half of my small nail). Since then, I am getting my blood test done every year, which comes back normal. I do not understand this as everybody needs two thyroid glands to work properly, an...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not the size of the thyroid gland, but it is the function that matters. In most of the thyroid gland removal, the left over gland will start hyper functioning and hence will take over the body function. So, if your blood work is normal means that a small part...  Read Full »

What are the ways to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. You did not mention your height and weight and any previous history, if any. The weight of a person should be proportional to its height.You can calculate it by BMI (body mass index). If your BMI is below 18.5 then you are underweight and you ...  Read Full »

What are the ways to improve body weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I weight 55 kg and height 5 feet 10 inches. I want to know how to increase the weight as I had tried so many ways to improve it but failed. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Try the below suggestions if you already have no done it, 1) Try to have a mini-meal or snacks (like boiled cereal sprouts, nuts, etc.) apart from your regular meals. 2) If your level of physical activity is more, accordingly you have to increase your calorie intak...  Read Full »

What should I feed my 3-month-old baby to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor,My baby is 3-month-old she was having a fever now with a weight of 5.8 kg. What should I give to gain more weight and look humpty she looks too much weak also.  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 5.8 at three months is fine. The child should not be Humpty. A good weight is must, not under or over. If she had a fever, the most common is viral fever characterized by fever and nasal discharge with or without mild cough, and child will be active otherwise. If she...  Read Full »

I am hypothyroid for 25 years and had gained weight recently. Is this worrisome?

Query: Hello doctor, Is this something I should worry about? I have been hypothyroid for 25 years and have recently gained about 25 lbs. Thyroid ultrasound states, history of goiter. We have no previous examination available for comparison. Both thyroid lobes are diminished in size. The right thyroid lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your weight gain is due to hypothyroidism and probable physical Inactivity. I need to know what is your recent TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level if it is not in a reasonable range, your medication dose needs to be adjusted. Also, do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old and my height is 5'7" and my weight is 57kg. My problem is related to my reduced body growth and development. I regularly take diet 3-4 times a day and drink about 3 litres of water a day. Besides this, I have also taken health supplements like horlicks/enduramass in...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are unable to gain weight, you should be evaluated for organic causes behind it. It can however be just constitutional. But it is not uncommon to have some organic causes behind this problem. If there is any organic cause, it should be evaluated. If you have an...  Read Full »