Q. After sports injury, I gained a lot weight. How to lose my weight?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

I am a 24-year-old male who has spent the last three years severely overweight. I had a sports injury and I packed on a lot of weight afterward. In total around 100 pounds. I felt fairly healthy at 6'1 280 pounds I was playing collegiate rugby.

I decided to make a change in the last two weeks and I have completely cut out sweets, candy, soda, fast food, and junk for the most part. I have been eating once a day, midday a meal that consists of rice, fish, chicken, salad, and sweet potatoes. It would be around 800-1000 calories. I take around a 30 minutes walk that I have been building upon with light bodyweight exercise. Just going as I feel comfortable.

So my question is do you think going from a 3000-4000 calorie a day diet and dropping to 1000 a day is too drastic? I am trying to cut a lot of weight I am hoping around 75 pounds in the next three months. I feel fine and it is not overly fatiguing. I take multivitamins and if I feel really hungry or have a sweet tooth I just have a spoon or two of peanut butter. When I started I was 388 pounds and today I weighed myself at 373. My water intake has been consistent as well.

Just wondering if what I am trying to accomplish is attainable or realistic and if it is fine for my long term health. I feel like obesity is just as bad. Looking forward to your response.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

Well, yes gradual loss of weight is always advisable for your health. It will be difficult but needs patience over time. You can continue with the amount of items taking but do jot skip any meal. Always have a natural source of multivitamins like fresh fruits or vegetables. Have some chicken slice vegetable salads which will include protein and vitamins. It can be taken as a wholesome meal per time.

Exercising twice daily for at least 30 minutes is best. Treadmill walk or pilates or dance aerobics also helps in cutting out the weight. Never starve yourself. You can have juices of all kinds without sugar which will keep your stomach full. Water intake should be optimum but not over drinking. Diet and workout both will aid in maintaining a healthy weight. Meditation and good sleep contribute a lot in maintaining a good mental state.

|