Q. I think the Insulin injection is not reducing my mother's sugar levels. Should we change it?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Apr 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 77 year old mother, who weighs 115 kg, is suffering from diabetes mellitus since last 6 to 8 years. Her fasting sugar level is 180 and postprandial is 250. She is taking Insulin from the past 3 to 4 years, Humalog 50/50 (twice a day 40 units). And her HbA1c is also high. She also takes Jentin Met, and other BP medications. 

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• Weight reduction is very important in diabetes. Maintain a strict diet and walk daily to reduce weight.
  • I suggest changing tablet Jentin Met (combination of Sitagliptin and Metformin) to tablet Galvus Met (combination of Vildagliptin and Metformin). Continue with Insulin.
  • Consult your doctor, and try taking tablet Galvus Met 50/500 in the morning after food and tablet Glyciphage (Metformin) 500 in the night after dinner.

For further queries consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Should we change the Insulin type as well? I think the Insulin is not working as it should. Without taking Insulin, the sugar level is almost the same.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• Instead of Humalog, I suggest you try injection Humulin Insulin R 15 units, before breakfast and before lunch and injection Humulin Insulin 30/70 15 units, before dinner along with oral medication.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now