My TSH is slightly elevated. Should I consult an endocrinologist?

Q. My TSH is slightly elevated. Should I consult an endocrinologist?

Answered by
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2023

Hello doctor,

I got my blood tested, and the TSH is slightly elevated. Should I consult an endocrinologist?

I have been suffering from a sleeping disorder for the last three years but never diagnosed with thyroid or any other disease except vitamin D deficiency. I am tackling my insomnia with exercise and also taking the prescribed dose of vitamin D for my deficiency. Yesterday, I received my recent blood test and found a slight increase in the TSH. Does it mean I have a hypothyroid or hyperthyroid disease. If it is in the initial stage, how could I prevent it? The blood report is attached with this query. Total triiodothyronine (T3) CLIA 90 ng/dl, total thyroxine (T4) CLIA 7.6 μg/dl and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) CLIA 5.59 μiu/ml.



Welcome to

I just read your query and read each one of your reports that you have provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The slightly high TSH is insignificant and can be safely ignored. It could also be due to not sleeping properly as improper sleep can disrupt hormones. Try yoga and meditation as well for insomnia. Repeat your thyroid function testsafter three months just to be sure. Yes, vitamin D deficiency can cause insomnia. Your triglycerides are also slightly on the higher side. I would recommend that youavoid junk food and have a low-fat and low-carb diet. Your uric acid is also slightly high but does not require any treatment. Just diet control will suffice.

1. Avoid sea foods and meat.

2. Drink eight to 10 glasses of water daily.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

Thank you doctor,

Do you mean to say that it could be reverted by proper diet and that I do not need a physical visit to an endocrinologist?



Welcome back to

  • You do not have any thyroid gland disorder and so you do not need to visit an endocrinologist.
  • The diet I advised was only for your dyslipidemia (high triglycerides) and high uric acid and has nothing to do with your thyroid gland.
  • Thyroid gland problems can never be treated by diet.

Hope my answer helps. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

.. lot for such a detailed history, it makes my job easier. I would want to know what was the result of the biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology). Based on that, I shall be in a better position to tell you the next step.   Read full

Dr.Shyam N Gupta

MBBS.,MD OBGYN & Repro Endocrinologist.,Fetal Medicine Trained.,Sexologist   Read full

Suffering from nightmares, sleeping problem and headache. Can this be due to glaucoma?

I had blood test for vitamin d3 and the result came out at 56.its not too low but low.should i take uprise d3 60kiu weekly and if so for how long.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.