Q. I am depressed because of my overweight. Will Duromine help in weight reduction?

Dr. Philile Donna Bongekile Hlengwa
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2019

I have been struggling a lot with my weight for the last two years. I consulted a dietician a few months ago, I have been on a balanced, calorie-controlled diet and I have also joined the gym. I am on a quest for a healthy balanced lifestyle. However, I am really struggling to get some weight off.

My current weight is 90 kg, and I am 163 cm tall. I am very depressed and sad because of all the hard work I put in without results. This is really taking its toll on my personal life. My dietician suggested that I can consult a doctor to see if there is anything that could be prescribed to help me. I have used 20 mg Duromine before, when I was younger, for three months and I really had great results with it. I thought that maybe I should try it again to get the kick-start I need and to boost this new journey. I am currently taking Cyclidox. Please help.

#

I am sorry to hear that you have struggled so much with losing weight and have started to feel depressed from it. I must, however, commend you on the great work you have done so far, trying to take control of your health and owning a more balanced future. I have recalculated your BMI (body mass index), and it works out to 34 rounded up, with an estimated body fat of around 40%. I must stress that I am not a dietician or nutritionist and these are the people often best placed to help with weight control and living a healthier lifestyle.

As a doctor, I would always advise having investigations done for conditions that may contribute to an inability to lose weight. These conditions are often endocrine in nature. An initial assessment can be done by a general practitioner, who will then refer you to an endocrinologist if necessary after some blood investigations have been done. Only once these have been excluded then we begin to suggest using medication such as Duromine (Garcinia Cambogia). Duromine is an appetite suppressant as you may already know, and the key to weight loss is not to starve your body but to give it the nutrients it needs and deserves while being aware of the macronutrients and calories you are absorbing.

Doxycycline has a tendency to make one retain water when taking it for a long time (which in turn causes water weight), do you mind me asking what you are taking this for? You are quite young, and still have a lot of time to settle into your body. Weight loss takes time and effort that I understand you have already put in, but I can help by advising some investigations and only after then we will suggest medication that helps to reduce the amount of fat being absorbed after consumption (not Duromine).

Caloric intake and burning mismatch.
Some medications like antidepressants, hypoglycemics, corticosteroids.
Endocrine conditions like hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome.

If you are happy with the response, then please let me know so we might be able to order blood via a pathology lab and assess those. I can liaise with your dietician, make a solid plan and we will take it from there.

| 

6 Best Homeopathic Remedies to Lose Weight

Article Overview: Losing weight is not an easy task. Diet and exercise are the first steps in the weight loss journey. But, with the help of homeopathy, you can hasten the process of weight loss both safely as well as efficiently. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Many people tend to gain weight quickly. Obesity and being overweight are the leading issues among all age groups. Several factors contribute towards weight gain. The common ones are Diet and lack of physical activity - Regular intake of unhealthy fatty food and insufficient physical activities ...  Read Article

How can I control my urge to eat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to lose weight for about one year now. I used to weigh 75 kilograms. With proper diet and exercise, I was able to reduce my weight. Now, my weight is 65 kilograms. But I am unable to control my urge to eat. I am cheating on my diet every single day and it makes me frustrated....  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now