Q. I have a cluster of tiny white heads under lip. Why?

Dr. Sandeep Golla

I have noticed a cluster of what looks like tiny white heads under my lip. After a couple days of being there, I tried pooping them but they seem to fill back with pus minutes later. Tired of them being there I kept pushing on them until nothing but clear liquid was coming out, now the area is sore and scabbed. Does this sound like acne or cold sores? I have noticed more of the same clusters on both sides of my mouth now.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

If possible, forward a few pics of affected area of the lips to help you through.

| 

The middle of the scab cracks and reopens every time I open my mouth too wide. The whole area is dried out from trying to dry the scab and white heads with Alcohol and Peroxide.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your pic (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What I can see is a crusted lesion just below the lower lip. Usually, cold sores (herpes) will not affect that part of face commonly. Your concern is acne vulgaris grade 2 that is infected acne most probably. You can start using Clindoxyl gel on acne when they pop out. Try to avoid pricking acne to avoid scar formation. If in case, any new eruption is noticed at same place, then get HSV IgM and IgG 1 and 2 investigation done and if IgM is positive then only active treatment with Valcyclovir or Acyclovir is indicated under doctor supervision.

|