Q. How can severe pain and bad taste after wisdom tooth removal be cured?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I am 29 years old. I got five teeth extracted, three of them being impacted wisdom teeth, before a week. My jaw is killing me. I have this nasty taste in my mouth. My holes look fine with blood clot present. What could be wrong? I cannot keep taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol, it is making me sick. I am just honestly in pain, I cannot eat. It is really bad. Please help. I do salt water rinses and I brush my teeth and the reason I can eat is food gets stuck in the holes and I hate getting it out, it hurts really bad. How many more days will this be like this?

#

I reckon you had a traumatic extraction experience as you had five teeth pulled out in one go. This will definitely take sometime to get back to normal. The bad taste in your mouth is due to certain fluids oozing out during the healing process. But you have also mentioned, food getting stuck in those holes.This gives me a question of dry socket. Ideally in seven days time, the gums would have shrunk atleast one-third. For severe pain, you might need to get a prescription for Paracetomol with Codeine from your dentist. And possibly take antibiotics as well. Meanwhile, try to rinse out with Savacol mouth rinse two to three times daily (10 ml of rinse in a cup of water) to get rid of the bad taste and clearing off bacteria.

|