Q. I got a wisdom tooth extracted five days back, why is it still bleeding?

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal
Published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I had a wisdom tooth removed five days back. It was bleeding heavily until two days ago, but now the bleeding has mostly gone. But, it bleeds when I brush my teeth. Is there anything to do other than to put padded pressure on the void of the tooth?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

• Here, I assume that you do not have any bleeding disorder. It seems initial blood clot after the extraction was dislodged due to some reason and the bleeding continued.
  • Yes, putting padded pressure on the socket is the right thing to do in such condition. Further, do not spit or gargle for 24 hours. Do not eat hot food, coffee or tea too. Do not sip through a straw. Consume more of cold things, like ice cream and apply ice packs from outside.
  • As the bleeding has stopped, the clot has been reformed, and slight oozing of blood from the site is normal for 2 to 3 days. Brush lightly near that area. And follow-up with your dentist after seven days of extraction.

Hope it helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Dry Socket - A Post Extraction Complication

Article Overview: Dry socket is the most common complication that occurs post tooth extraction. This article discusses its causes, symptoms and treatment. Read Article

What is a Dry Socket? Dry socket is a painful dental condition that occurs after permanent tooth extraction, if not taken proper care of the extraction socket, it will lead to dislodgement of blood clot from the extraction socket. Why does a Dry Socket Occur? If post extraction instructions are...  Read Article

Why am I having nosebleeds and dryness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 22 years old, 110 pounds (50 kg), and height 160 cm. I rarely have nosebleeds, but I had one two days back and again this morning. It woke me up before work. The last lasted for 10 minutes (it seemed like a normal nosebleed). The one this morning lasted around 45 minute...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mostly the bleeds are due to dryness. Since you have iron deficiency you must be more careful. To stop nosebleeds pinch the nose for three minutes gently so that it gets occluded. Apply ice packs in either side of nose while keeping your nose pinched. Elevate head end o...  Read Full

My daughter got hit on her head with a wooden swing. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter got hit in the head with a wooden swing by my other child. It hit above the eye between eyebrow and temple. She is acting fine. It is very swollen and bruised, like a very large goose egg. Do you think that calls for a trip to the doctor or just more ice packs? It has been abo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As it is an injury around the eye, it may cause congestion in the eyes and secondary infection as well. She also needs analgesics. It is not a small injury to be treated only by ice packs. I suggest you try doing the following: Get an x-ray of the frontotemporal region o...  Read Full