Q. I am bleeding after septoplasty. What should I do?

Published on Sep 14, 2019

I had septoplasty in which my turbinates have been shaved, and adenoids were taken out. I had two bleeds already. It started bleeding again and is running down the back of my throat. Should I see the doctor or is this something that I can take care of myself? I am currently on Tranexamic acid.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Sit straight, slightly bring your head forward, and pinch both nostrils firmly. Now keep ice packs over the nose and either side of the nose (cheeks) and breathe through the mouth. This controls the bleeding. If you have Otrivin (Xylometazoline) or Nasivion (Oxymetazoline) or Xylomist (Xylometazoline) nose drops instill three drops in either side and then do the maneuver. Some bleeding is expected.

Red, and bloodstained liquids are normal after this surgery and not worrisome. Frank blood that does not stop with the above technique should be addressed by a doctor. Revert to me, and I shall explain what other precautions you should take postoperatively to prevent bleeding.

| 

How can I control heavy bleeding during periods?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old married girl. This time, there is a heavy flow during my periods (nonstop bleeding) but there is no pain and no discomfort. Today is the second day of my periods. What should I do? It does not look like a normal period bleeding that I usually have.  Read Full »

What precautions must I take for dental treatments if I have a bleeding disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have von Willebrand disease. My current health concern is that I need to get a scaling of my teeth done. What precautions should I take while scaling to prevent the loss of blood?  Read Full »

I have anal bleeding because of piles. What treatment can be had?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting drop by drop bleeding from the anus due to internal piles after passing motions in the morning. What should I do?  Read Full »