Q. I am bleeding after septoplasty. What should I do?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I had septoplasty in which my turbinates have been shaved, and adenoids were taken out. I had two bleeds already. It started bleeding again and is running down the back of my throat. Should I see the doctor or is this something that I can take care of myself? I am currently on Tranexamic acid.

#

Sit straight, slightly bring your head forward, and pinch both nostrils firmly. Now keep ice packs over the nose and either side of the nose (cheeks) and breathe through the mouth. This controls the bleeding. If you have Otrivin (Xylometazoline) or Nasivion (Oxymetazoline) or Xylomist (Xylometazoline) nose drops instill three drops in either side and then do the maneuver. Some bleeding is expected.

Red, and bloodstained liquids are normal after this surgery and not worrisome. Frank blood that does not stop with the above technique should be addressed by a doctor. Revert to me, and I shall explain what other precautions you should take postoperatively to prevent bleeding.

|