Q. Is gallbladder removal necessary for acalculous biliary dyskinesia?

Dr. Noushif M

I would like an opinion regarding surgery for acalculous biliary dyskinesia. I have had RUQ pain and colic attacks for the past three or four years. Ultrasounds at the time showed no symptoms. Then I had a HIDA scan that showed 12% ejection fraction, so the doctor suggested surgery to remove the gallbladder, even without stones or anything. I declined. I modified my diet. The attacks became more sporadic, but last month I had an acute acalculous cholecystitis event.

An ultrasound showed some sludge and 3 mm wall thickening. Again, surgery was suggested and scheduled. But symptoms resolved within a week and I am completely asymptomatic now. I am really scared of having unnecessary surgery if I have no stones. What is the worst that can happen if I just decline surgery? I am afraid of having ongoing new indigestion symptoms post-surgery. I do not want new problems. I am really afraid.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Since you had GB sludge with multiple attacks of biliary colic, the chances of getting a repeat attack are very high. Sludge or microlithiasis denote a dysfunctional gall bladder. It is always better to remove a dysfunctional gall bladder as it has a high probability of stone formation. All attacks need not be mild as you had. At times severe attacks may happen which need emergency surgery. There can be infectious episodes too. The next severe complication happens from secondary pancreatitis.

This microlithiasis are not easily picked up on ultrasound scans. So if you see the risks of retaining gallbladder and the advantages of surgery, the advantages overweigh the risks. I would definitely recommend a planned surgery before developing complications and ending up with an infection and unplanned surgery.

| 

I looked up biliary microlithiasis and that it may be a possible cause of post-surgery complications. What are the chances of that occurring? This is why I am so scared of surgery. In any case, I understand the importance of surgery for my case and thank you for explaining it in detail.

Dr. Noushif M

#

Post-surgery microlithiasis is less common. It happens from sludge or stones in the bile tube. Usually, these come from the gallbladder. So if the source is out the chances of microlithiasis are less.

| 

Gallstones - All You Need to Know

Article Overview: Gallstones are formed in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile or due to stasis. Gallstones are generally composed of cholesterol, bile pigments, and mucin. Gallstones can be asymptomatic and incidentally detected on an ultrasound scan. They can cause pain (biliary colic), acute calculous cholecystitis, chronic cholecystitis, acute pancreatitis (a very serious condition), common bile duct obstruction, obstructive jaundice, and cholangitis (can be severe and cause multiple organ failures). Read Article

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

Introduction: Gallstones are a common condition. Gallstones form in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile. About 1500 ml of bile is secreted by the liver every day. Normally, bile is necessary for digestion of fat and absorption of fat soluble vitamins. It is also...  Read Article

I had my gallbladder removed after which I started to have cough. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my gallbladder removed yesterday. Ever since I woke up from the anesthesia, I have cough. My stomach hurts as a result of the continuing cough. I called the surgeons office to find out why this is happening and to get stronger pain medicine. But they said I need to see my primar...  Read Full »