Q. As I have gallstones, is it mandatory to undergo cholecystectomy before planning pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Gallbladder Stone or Pregnancy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 34-year-old female ophthalmologist. I have a single gallstone which is 10 mm in size that was noticed incidentally in ultrasound. Is it necessary to undergo cholecystectomy before planning my second pregnancy? I had nonspecific episodes of abdominal pain in the last two years which were not typical of gallbladder pain because the pain was more located in the center and lower abdomen. But the intensity of the pain was severe and was associated with nausea, and vomiting which relieved only after taking intramuscular painkillers.