Q. What is the cause for cough after gallbladder surgery?

Dr. Manu Kumar
Published on Sep 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

I had my gallbladder removed yesterday. Ever since I woke up from the anesthesia, I have cough. My stomach hurts as a result of the continuing cough. I called the surgeons office to find out why this is happening and to get stronger pain medicine. But they said I need to see my primary doctor for the cough as it is not related. I have read that people have coughs after surgery. It is causing so much pain in my stomach.

Dr. Manu Kumar

Anesthesiology Critical Care Physician
#

In general anesthesia, a patient is put on ventilatory support as he cannot breathe during general anesthesia. To achieve this, we need to pass a tube, known as an endotracheal tube, down the throat to the lungs. This sometimes leads to some swelling or medically known as edema in the throat. Some patients are more sensitive than others, so they have the self-limiting cough till the edema subsides. You can take some throat lozenges apart from steam inhalation to help you. The cough will go once the edema subsides.

Endotracheal intubation leading to airway edema.

Upper respiratory tract infection.

Symptomatic, with steam inhalation and throat lozenges.

Need to see an ENT specialist if not improving.

| 

Does coughing up blood mean cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I was a smoker for four and half years. Six months back, I got my chest X-ray, and my reports were normal. Then I was an intermittent smoker, and I caught a cough. It was dry. I did not care and did not take medications for it, but within a week, it increased. So when I took medicatio...  Read Full »

Why did I get tiny black dots on the body after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stom...  Read Full »

How can stomach problems be treated after having had a gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female who is 5 feet 3 inches weighing 140 pounds. For the past four months, I have been dealing with stomach problems such as diarrhea and bloating and lack of appetite. It did turn out that my gallbladder was functioning at 18% and just last week I had a laparo...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now