Q. I have acidic with heartburn and occasional stomach pain. Is it GERD or peptic ulcer?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Hi, I am a 51 year old man. I was diagnosed with Hay Fever four months back. I was prescribed antihistamine, omeprazole and nasal spray then. Although my symptoms reduced a bit after a while, they never disappeared. However, since a couple of months, I started experiencing symptoms like heartburn, regurgitation, some swalloing difficulty, sleeping disorder, etc. I visited a doctor, I was diagnosed with malaria and acidity (possibly stomach ulcer). The video xray performed then found that there is excessive gas in the stomach. He prescribed me spasmodigestin for 10 days and rabeprazole for a month, besides 3 dosage of antibiotic for malaria. It was doing better, but due to my travel last week, for several days, I could not control my food intake. This has led to some deterioration again. I am feeling more acidic with heartburn and occasional stomach pain. Is it GERD or some Peptic Ulcer, could you advise please?

#

Hello.

Thank you for the details. Ulcer in the stomach is not a diagnosis made on ultrasound. Anyways, some antibiotics you may be taking will have side effects like erosion of the stomach wall. I am not sure if you were prescribed medications to reduce the acid secretion in the stomach along with stomach. Considering the immediate past history, hear stomach burn is mostly antibiotic induced. If you are experiencing heart burn, cough, acid taste in the mouth after sleeping for few hours, most likely it is regurgitation as you have mentioned. Please follow the suggestions below. You should be alright.

1. Tab Omeprazole sustain release (SR) twice daily for 7 days and then once daily for further 14 days.

2. Plenty of fluids

3. Avoid excess tea/coffee, spicy food

4. Avoid smoking and alcohol if you do so

5. Provide at least 90 min between your dinner and sleep. Do not sleep/lie down immediately after food.

6. Slightly raise the head end by placing pillows between your shoulder blades

7. We can consider an upper GI endoscopy (insertion of camera through food pipe) if severity persists or symptoms reappear after about a month to see what exactly is happening.

Hope this helps. Please take care.

| 

Can masturbation cause stomach pain and cramps?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old boy. I am suffering from stomach pain, cramps, and gastric problem. Before six years when I eat some food I got still more inflammation, pain, and cramps. The first year when I reported in the hospital I came to know that I have gastric ulcer, so I took the medicat...  Read Full »

I have heartburn, bloating and fullness. Will this get better with treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with gastritis yesterday and have been suffering from heartburn, bloating and fullness for three months now. What I do not understand is, if gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining, why is my LES relaxing and causing heartburn to a point where my throat sw...  Read Full »

How can I manage the stomach pain present below the breast on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. I also get a fever during the early morning. Please help.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»