Acl Injury

Will physiotherapy or traction help in my back pain and weakness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male. I am on a pacemaker for the past 18 years (non-MRI-compatible, dual-chamber with full dependence on a pacemaker). I weigh about 78-80 kg. I have back pain for several years, but I have severe back pain for the past month, and my left leg muscles went flaccid. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through from the details of your symptoms and your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, the best option would be to undergo a microscopic discectomy or an endoscopic decompression o...  Read Full »

Can you give me a second opinion regarding my DVT and knee injury?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I met with an accident and the doctor diagnosed my knee with complete ACL tear and partial MCL injury. So, I started using a knee brace. Two days later, I took a long duration flight without taking any medication of thrombosis. However, I started taking Ibuprofen tablets (twice ...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and would like to give replies to your queries accordingly. The issue is that you have a concomitant knee ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament) injury for which a surgical procedure will be required as you ...  Read Full »

Can I bend my knee after an ACL surgery?

Query: To give you some backstory i had acl surgery via a graft from my hamstring and a meniscus repair 7 weeks ago. I went to my physiotherapist and she asked me to face down on the bed and bend my knee. I did what i could and then she started really pushing on my ankle at which point i was in excruciatin...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, This is unusual in two aspects Forcible manipulation like this is not recommended and of this needs to be done then this should be done by the doctor with an anaesthetic. Secondly the knee should never need this sort of manipulation as the range should have been there to start with Now di...  Read Full »

Does the outcome of ACL surgery get affected by the patient's weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am planning to get an operation for ACL injury. After how many days of operation will I walk normally and do bike riding? How fast will I recover? My weight is 80 kg. Is there any problem for quick recovery with this weight? Kindly guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the ACL surgery, if the surgery goes well, usually you will start walking with the long knee brace from the second day of the surgery. Normally, you will be able to walk on your own after six to eight weeks of surgery. You can ride a bike after two to three months ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a problem with my right knee?

Query: Hi doctor, One year back, I had problem in my right knee like loose feeling, instability, slight pain, etc. When I consulted a doctor, he suggested Cartigen-Duo, Miol-OD and Acepark gel. In x-ray he found that the pain was due to cartilage damage in knee. I continued full course of medicine and afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history as well as the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with it. The history points towards a diagnosis of internal derangement of knee, which means injury to the soft tissues in and around the knee providing stabil...  Read Full »

Will multi-ligament knee injury likely to cause foot drop in later years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic onset of symptoms of foot drop, diagnosed by podiatrist last month. I would like to know if this could be caused by the original knee injury, which was diagnosed as a severe multi-ligament knee injury. Is it possible for a severe multi-ligament knee injury, with a c...  Read Full »

Dr. Chintan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) surgery was done in 1980 whereas the injury was in 1969. It must be ACL reconstruction surgery or some other augmentation surgery. The original ligament cannot be repaired after 11 years. It will be beneficial to...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for grade 3 ACL tear?

Query: Hi doctor, I fell down from bike 10 days back and since then I am unable to walk properly. I have a problem in the knee. In the X-ray report, there was no fracture found. However, in MRI it shows ACL grade 3 tear. So just wanted to know if surgery is mandatory or any other option (without surgery) ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At your age, if you have a complete ACL tear, then the best idea is to have surgery and reconstructed. This can also be treated non-operatively by physiotherapy and muscle strengthening of the hamstrings. However, this does not fully compensate for the ligament loss....  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover completely from ACL injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister met an accident before four months. Now, she is suffering from ACL injury. According to the doctor's suggestion, she did POP for a month followed by arthroscopy. She is following the exercise under the supervision of a physiotherapist post arthroscopy. She can find recovery, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, it takes three months to have complete recovery after arthroscopy with good physiotherapy done regularly. Physiotherapy includes quadriceps strengthening, hamstring stretching, and strengthening, full weight-bearing walking with a hinged knee brace, and knee be...  Read Full »

Can I use a brace for ACL fracture while playing rugby?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old medical student and I enjoy playing rugby at a high level. I have already ruptured my ACL twice on my left leg (twice reconstruction surgery) and I am now very sure I have ruptured my right ACL as well. Would it be possible for me to carry on playing rugby in the near...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. It will not be comfortable for you to play with an ACL brace if you have grade 3 ACL tear as twisting and turning will not be quick and comfortable to the level game demands. If you have kind of grade 2 then you can strengthen and then have ...  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover from ACL injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I had ACL injury. What will be the time for recovery like normal walking and bike riding? I would like to know after how many days I will be able to do normal walking and bike riding.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually there will be swelling and effusion in the knee after an ACL injury (anterior cruciate ligament). So, that has to reduce for you to be back to normal. You should wear a long knee brace all the time and remove it only at night. Put a crepe bandage of 6 inches fro...  Read Full »