Acl Injury

Does the outcome of ACL surgery get affected by the patient's weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am planning to get an operation for ACL injury. After how many days of operation will I walk normally and do bike riding? How fast will I recover? My weight is 80 kg. Is there any problem for quick recovery with this weight? Kindly guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the ACL surgery, if the surgery goes well, usually you will start walking with the long knee brace from the second day of the surgery. Normally, you will be able to walk on your own after six to eight weeks of surgery. You can ride a bike after two to three months ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a problem with my right knee?

Query: Hi doctor, One year back, I had problem in my right knee like loose feeling, instability, slight pain, etc. When I consulted a doctor, he suggested Cartigen-Duo, Miol-OD and Acepark gel. In x-ray he found that the pain was due to cartilage damage in knee. I continued full course of medicine and afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history as well as the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with it. The history points towards a diagnosis of internal derangement of knee, which means injury to the soft tissues in and around the knee providing stabil...  Read Full »

Will multi-ligament knee injury likely to cause foot drop in later years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic onset of symptoms of foot drop, diagnosed by podiatrist last month. I would like to know if this could be caused by the original knee injury, which was diagnosed as a severe multi-ligament knee injury. Is it possible for a severe multi-ligament knee injury, with a c...  Read Full »

Dr. Chintan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) surgery was done in 1980 whereas the injury was in 1969. It must be ACL reconstruction surgery or some other augmentation surgery. The original ligament cannot be repaired after 11 years. It will be beneficial to...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for grade 3 ACL tear?

Query: Hi doctor, I fell down from bike 10 days back and since then I am unable to walk properly. I have a problem in the knee. In the X-ray report, there was no fracture found. However, in MRI it shows ACL grade 3 tear. So just wanted to know if surgery is mandatory or any other option (without surgery) ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. At your age, if you have a complete ACL tear, then the best idea is to have surgery and reconstructed. This can also be treated non-operatively by physiotherapy and muscle strengthening of the hamstrings. However, this does not fully compensate for the ligament loss....  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover completely from ACL injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister met an accident before four months. Now, she is suffering from ACL injury. According to the doctor's suggestion, she did POP for a month followed by arthroscopy. She is following the exercise under the supervision of a physiotherapist post arthroscopy. She can find recovery, bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, it takes three months to have complete recovery after arthroscopy with good physiotherapy done regularly. Physiotherapy includes quadriceps strengthening, hamstring stretching, and strengthening, full weight-bearing walking with a hinged knee brace, and knee be...  Read Full »

Can I use a brace for ACL fracture while playing rugby?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old medical student and I enjoy playing rugby at a high level. I have already ruptured my ACL twice on my left leg (twice reconstruction surgery) and I am now very sure I have ruptured my right ACL as well. Would it be possible for me to carry on playing rugby in the near...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. It will not be comfortable for you to play with an ACL brace if you have grade 3 ACL tear as twisting and turning will not be quick and comfortable to the level game demands. If you have kind of grade 2 then you can strengthen and then have ...  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover from ACL injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I had ACL injury. What will be the time for recovery like normal walking and bike riding? I would like to know after how many days I will be able to do normal walking and bike riding.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually there will be swelling and effusion in the knee after an ACL injury (anterior cruciate ligament). So, that has to reduce for you to be back to normal. You should wear a long knee brace all the time and remove it only at night. Put a crepe bandage of 6 inches fro...  Read Full »

What does my MRI done for knee injury indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I just recently suffered a knee injury and had an MRI done I was just hoping the results could be translated to me. An acute anterior cruciate ligament injury is present with lateral compartment bone contusions. A full thickness tear is favored. A high-grade partial tear is possible b...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sir, all the findings which you have written shows that there is some injury to your knee and in turn body reactions. Usually, it is difficult to assess about ligaments in MRI of fresh trauma because of too much edema. So, basically, we rely on patients symptomatology a...  Read Full »

Is it a must to operate type 2 ligament tear?

Query: Hi doctor, I got an accident before a month. I got a right knee ACL ligament type 2 tear. Is it possible for the type 2 ligament to get cured by itself without operation and if so, how many days does it take to heal?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears will not heal on its own as they are inside the joint. To bring the ends together, you need surgery, but even that too is not successful. It is the reason for doing ACL reconstruction. It is not recommended for everyone. Only if yo...  Read Full »

I am getting throbbing in knee every time I rest. Kindly advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting throbbing in my knee every time I am resting. There is no pain just uncomfortable throbbing. Recently, came back from grade 2 MCL injury and ACL sprain. I am a female.  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. The throbbing pain is caused due to the activity you do like walking and standing, etc. The muscle gets activated normally during functional activities but in your case, since recovery has not happened completely you have post activity stiff...  Read Full »