Q. Please explain the MRI done for knee injury.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I just recently suffered a knee injury and had an MRI done I was just hoping the results could be translated to me. An acute anterior cruciate ligament injury is present with lateral compartment bone contusions. A full thickness tear is favored. A high-grade partial tear is possible but felt to be less likely. A very small subtle linear tear is suggested within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus with inferior articular surface extension. Extensive soft tissue swelling and edema from the patient’s injury. Grade II sprain of the fibular collateral ligament, biceps femoris and conjoint tendon portions of the lateral collateral ligament complex. There is grade I to II strain of the distal aspect of the vastus lateralis muscle.

#

Sir, all the findings which you have written shows that there is some injury to your knee and in turn body reactions. Usually, it is difficult to assess about ligaments in MRI of fresh trauma because of too much edema. So, basically, we rely on patients symptomatology and our clinical findings. It is advisable to get an MRI after six weeks of injury.

As far as your MRI findings are concerned, everything is fine. Only thing is your ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), which needs to be evaluated clinically. As of now, nothing to be done and take some painkillers and mobilize as per your pain. It would be helpful to me if you could tell about your symptoms like how long back you had an injury, are you able to walk, if yes then is there any instability or giving away sensation of the knee. Also, if you could describe the way you had injuries like twisting injury or direct hit.

|