iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyacne scarsI am very light complected with dark red acne scars. What is the treatment?

What would you recommend for red acne scars?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Chaitra. P

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At September 2, 2019
Reviewed AtAugust 8, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am very light complected with dark red acne scars that I have had for a few years. I have some acne on my cheeks, but the acne scars are more noticeable. I have combination skin I believe because my forehead tends to be super dry to where it peels, and my nose gets oily. After any cleanser, I use my face gets very dry. Which soap do you recommend and could I use castor oil or coconut oil after for the dryness? I heard they are good face moisturizers. Kindly advice.

Answered by Dr. Chaitra. P


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It is essential to avoid oily preparations on the face for acne with combination skin. It tends to develop seborrheic dermatitis. I would not advise any oil for dryness here. It is also advisable to avoid harsh soaps and cleansers. As they remove oil, they can also lead to skin irritation. Acne spots can be reduced by using creams like Biluma (Octinoxate, Propylene Glycol, Light Liquid Paraffin) at night and sunscreen during the day. Creams do not effectively treat depressed acne scars. You may require chemical peels, micro-needling, or lasers.

Investigations to be done


Differential diagnosis

Acne, seborrheic dermatitis.

Treatment plan

1. Clindamycin gel twice a day for acne. 2. A mild cleanser or soap-like Cetaphil 1-2 times a day 3. Aloe Vera containing moisturizer as required. 4. Oral medicines may be required depending on severity.

Preventive measures

1. Do not overdo face cleansing. 2. Wet wipes can be used if face washing required more than two times a day.

Regarding follow up

Would like to see a picture of the acne and scars for further advice.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Chaitra. P
Dr. Chaitra. P


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy