Q. What would you recommend for red acne scars?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
Published on Sep 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

I am very light complected with dark red acne scars that I have had for a few years. I have some acne on my cheeks, but the acne scars are more noticeable. I have combination skin I believe because my forehead tends to be super dry to where it peels, and my nose gets oily. After any cleanser, I use my face gets very dry. Which soap do you recommend and could I use castor oil or coconut oil after for the dryness? I heard they are good face moisturizers. Kindly advice.

#

It is essential to avoid oily preparations on the face for acne with combination skin. It tends to develop seborrheic dermatitis. I would not advise any oil for dryness here. It is also advisable to avoid harsh soaps and cleansers. As they remove oil, they can also lead to skin irritation. Acne spots can be reduced by using creams like Biluma at night and sunscreen during the day. Creams do not effectively treat depressed acne scars. You may require chemical peels, micro-needling, or lasers.

None

Acne, seborrheic dermatitis.

1. Clindamycin gel twice a day for acne.
2. A mild cleanser or soap-like Cetaphil 1-2 times a day
3. Aloe Vera containing moisturizer as required.
4. Oral medicines may be required depending on severity.

1. Do not overdo face cleansing.
2. Wet wipes can be used if face washing required more than two times a day.

Would like to see a picture of the acne and scars for further advice.

| 

What can be done for dry scalp with white flaky layers on the front and sides?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a very dry scalp. There is a white flaky layer on the front and on the sides of the scalp. I have tried different shampoos but no help. Hair is getting thin day by day. I shampoo my hair twice weekly and before shampoo only I apply oil. Please help.  Read Full »

What is the treatment for an infant with a rash on his genitals?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 months and 15 days old. He has a rash on his genitals and his pubic area that looks like scabies or a fungal infection. Please advice for quick recovery. We are using EziNapi cream for diaper rash. But it is not looking like a diaper rash. It may be some infection. Please ...  Read Full »

Is bleaching the cause of my hair loss?

Query: Hello doctor,I have bleached my hair three times this year and have suffered a great deal of hair loss. My hair has been breaking very often and it has come to shoulder length. I have not used anything as yet as I am too afraid that it may get worse. The shampoo and conditioner that I use are called...  Read Full »