Q. Will intake of contraceptive pills cause acne in face?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I am 25 years old. I never had acne, however, I started getting acne around my cheeks last January 2019. I thought it might be my contraceptive pill so I stopped taking that but that did not change. I was playing around with skincare products which I also thought made it worse so I stopped and streamlined the products that I use. I also thought I had laser hair removal on my face and I think that caused the acne to start. It has been over a year and my skin has not gotten better. Please help.

#

I have gone through the case. First, you need to understand acne is common and you may experience frequent exacerbation due to stress or hormones.

Yes, in your case oral contraceptives are inviting factors as they cause hormonal imbalance. And later it got aggravated by laser and use of the cosmetic products. Second important thing you need to understand that acne is multifactorial even diet like fast food also aggravates it. Drink plenty of water. Apply Clindamycin gel two times a day for three weeks. Use Neutrogena antiacne face wash. Avoid topical cosmetics for some time.

I got laser hair removal first which started the acne. Can laser hair removal cause acne? My diet is great and I eat a well-balanced diet with lots of water every day and workout every day.

I am currently using Cerave gentle cleanser. What is Clindamycin gel? What can I put after the gel, moisturizer?

#

Yes definitely. As I already explained you that acne is multifactorial which means there is not a single factor that can start acne. Many factors like food, stress either mental or physical, cosmetics and drugs play role. Apply Clindamycin gel two times a day on pimples. Avoid cosmetics as much as you can. Use serums if necessary like sunblock in serum form.

Avoid moisture or other cosmetics as it blocks pores and aggravates acne. Use Cetaphil or Neutrogena anti-acne face wash.

|