Q. I have a sore that crusts over, then falls off and weeps. Is it carcinoma?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I think I have cell carcinoma. It started a year ago. Tried antibiotic cream, antiseptic cream, fungi cream, etc. In the last two weeks, it has spread. It crusts over, then falls off, and then weeps or bleeds. Very sore and itchy.

#

I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Right now, your lesion has taken the shape of a scar. The diagnosis of carcinoma can only be made on biopsy and you are already on a dermatologist's list. So, do not panic and be patient.

In my opinion, it is just a local spread which has occurred during the last two weeks. And this is because, whenever we itch harshly, any lesion can ooze and form the crust which is beyond the lesion margin as blood spreads easily and crust is dried up blood and pus. So, it seems to you that it is spreading.

However, from the above explanation, the diagnosis of carcinoma cannot be excluded as it is based only on biopsy. Be patient.

Suggest you keep on applying Sudocrem (Antiseptic cream). Do not apply anything else until you see a doctor. Moreover, it does not look to be an aggressive lesion, so relax.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I do not itch it. I do not irritate it at all. I have pictures from last month. I have been keeping a diary and it has got bigger.

#

Previously, you described it as a sore and very itchy disorder. Anyways, repeated crusting and rapid spread are not features of carcinoma.

This could be due to actinic keratosis. However, we need a biopsy for confirmation.

There is no evidence of fungal infection or bacterial infection, so no need to apply antifungal or antibiotics.

|