Q. How to confirm melanoma?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

I have a mole on the right side of my face. It is uneven, weirdly colored, has no clear lines and bleed easily if scratched. I have a lot of moles in my scalp but none like this. Could it be melanoma? If it is not then can I just scratch it off? I wish to know your opinion.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I have gone through your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As per experience only two skin diseases looks like this. The first one is of course melanoma and the second is seborrheic keratosis.

The main signs and symptoms of melanoma are as follows:

1. With time the size will get increased.
  2. Color also changes with time.
  3. Margin of lesion also change from round to irregular.
  4. As the melanoma goes deep bleeding also increases.
  5. Singe lesion most of the time.

It is true that white people are more prone to get melanoma, but your site of lesion is not common. In this age melanoma or other skin cancer comes over more photo exposed part of the body like face or hand.

Now, let me explain the signs and symptoms of seborrheic keratosis.

1. More common over scalp and in older age group.
  2. Does not bleed and little raised (not flat) on skin.
  3. Often found multiple in number.
  4. Not itchy and no specific symptom.

Now, I personally feel your problem goes more towards melanoma or BCC (basal cell carcinoma). You need to go for biopsy. Biopsy would be an ultimate tool to diagnose the disease.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

The mole started to bleed a lot with very little scratching and stopped very soon as well. As seen in the photo, the mole is a little bit whiter in the center than on the edges and this mole in my old photographs used to be much smaller. Is it melanoma?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

• No, not even the best dermatologist can surely say that it is melanoma or not.
  • Just bleeding is not a way to diagnose. You have to undergo biopsy to rule out. Biopsy is must in this case.

Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with prominent eosinophil infiltration in the lamina propria with a mild lymphomonocytic cell. Urothelium shows atrophic change.  Read Full »

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »

Sunprotection and Sunscreens : All you need to know about this!

Article Overview: Sun protection is the single most important measure of preventing or delaying problems like ageing of skin, wrinkles, pigmentation disorders like melasma, age spots etc. Thus protection from sun-exposure by physical methods and proper use of sunscreens is central to prevention and treatment of these problems. Unfortunately not many people know how exactly a sunscreen should be used to optimize its beneficial effects. This article will educate everybody about concepts of ideal sun protection and use of sunscreens. Read Article

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

What is Sun Protection and Why is it Needed Sun protection is simply guarding a body from the adverse effects of sunlight. Sun light consists of visible light and Ultra Violet (UV) radiation which are of three types – A,B,C of which UVA and UVB have detrimental effects on the skin on chronic ...  Read Article