Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time

Why am I getting bruises on my legs often?

Query: Hi doctor, I keep getting bruises on both of my legs and they are in different colors. I have not banged recently and I do not know the reason. What can it be? I am regularly using an inhaler for asthma.  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Easy bruisability is not an uncommon complaint and has multiple causes for it. As a baseline, you would need to undergo a panel of investigations to know regarding the status of your bleeding and clotting profile. Reasons can vary from simple normal skin tendency to vitam...  Read Full »

For a hemophiliac patient, it is necessary to receive coagulants for colonoscopy?

Query: Hi doctor, My son was exposed to warfare chemical in the navy. During his tonsil surgery, he was found to have bleeding disorder. He is suffering from hemophilia and is undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow. Should he receive coagulant for this procedure?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: During any procedure bleeding time and clotting time that is prothrombin (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APPT) are always evaluated and then only the procedure is done. If he has no clotting issues at present ...  Read Full »

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency. This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to pro...  Read Full »

Why did I get blood when I blew my nose?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past five days, I have been having quite a bit of blood come up in my mucus when I blow my nose. My sinuses are sore and puffy. Today, my right cheek and right side of my nose have gone numb and tingling. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided and image provided, it is blood stained discharge with mucus. Hence, the possibility of acute sinusitis or rhinitis is present. Your workup should be done as follow. Rhinoscopy nose examination, PNS x-ray (paranasal sinus), CBC (...  Read Full »

I have petechiae rash on my legs and arms with easy bruising. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently experienced a petechiae rash on my legs and arms and easy bruising. My PCP ordered blood work to look at platelet levels. The only abnormality was a slightly prolonged aPTT time (40 seconds and the lab reference range is 25 to 36 seconds). Further blood work was done: Von W...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For the petechial rash, you need to investigate with full CBC to check platelet count. Low platelet count is one of the causes of such a rash. I suggest you investigate with SGPT and ultrasonography abdomen to check for liver disease. Your raised APTT is a surprisi...  Read Full »

Are bleeding through the nose and underskin common in Von Willebrand disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a Von Willebrand disease (vWD) type 3 patient. I am currently bleeding through my nostrils, having underskin blood spots and pain in my ankle. These symptoms are new to me. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Bleeding is known to occur through nostrils and also in muscles, under skin, etc. An evaluation of Von Willebrand factor (vWF) levels is necessary to rule out any serious quantitative deficiency. Before that bleeding t...  Read Full »

Is this treatment sufficient for stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, I had MR angiography of brain vessels. No flow of signals are noted in basilar and left posterior cerebral arteries. And a very minimal faint flow signal is noted in the right posterior cerebral artery. I have attached my MRA, current medication list and blood test reports for your refer...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachments as well as the MRA report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From these, I can find that the patient has suffered from a stroke. Stroke is actually a problem in brain that arises because the blood vessels supplying blood to the...  Read Full »

I did not go for the follow-up appointment after an abortion. Will it cause any problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an abortion by a gynecologist few months back. She gave me some tablets and inserted something in my vagina. I had heavy thick bleeding, which reduced after two days. But, I did not go to meet the gynecologist after seven days. Will that cause any problems? I am having regular p...  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? If you have had regular periods after that episode, it only means the abortion has been completely expelled. The inner part of the uterus is empty, so it is a good sign. It is better to leave a gap of three months after abortion for next pregnancy. ...  Read Full »

What is the cause for elevation of D dimer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 47 years old female. Before a year, I went to the ER with pain during breathing. My D dimer was elevated at 700 ng/mL. CT scan was negative for a clot. Then I have done two subsequent D dimer tests, and both the ranges were elevated. The values are 521 ng/mL and 707 ng/mL. I am taki...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. D dimer is a fibrin degraded product, and it is elevated in case of thrombosis usually like pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis. For this, the investigation is done in the form of 2D echocardiography and color doppler of the leg. But you had investigated with CT sc...  Read Full »

Why is APTT prolonged in a patient with acute vein thrombosis?

Query: Hello doctor, A 49-year-old patient presented with acute vein thrombosis of the lower extremities. He was admitted for acute bilateral swelling following a three-month course of hematoma formation and one episode of spontaneous hematuria. On admission, the patient is pale with multiple cutaneous he...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time) test is positive (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So three causes should be ruled out: Hemophilia A or B. Intrinsic factor coagulation factor deficiency. That is factor 12,11,9,8. Lupus inhibitors...  Read Full »