Q. What is the cause for elevation of D dimer?

I am 47 years old female. Before a year, I went to the ER with pain during breathing. My D dimer was elevated at 700 ng/mL. CT scan was negative for a clot. Then I have done two subsequent D dimer tests, and both the ranges were elevated. The values are 521 ng/mL and 707 ng/mL. I am taking tablet Armour for hypothyroidism and a multivitamin tablet.

#

D dimer is a fibrin degraded product, and it is elevated in case of thrombosis usually like pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis. For this, the investigation is done in the form of 2D echocardiography and color doppler of the leg. But you had investigated with CT scan angiography as mentioned in the history (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it is considered as the preferred test to detect pulmonary embolism. So pulmonary embolism seems less likely.

Calf vein color doppler is done to check deep vein thrombosis. Specific false definite causes for D dimer include pregnancy, inflammation, liver disease, any previous surgery. Also, you can check your coagulation profile through PT (prothrombin time), aPTT (activated partial thromboplastin time), BT (bleeding time).

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|