Q. I did not go for the follow-up appointment after an abortion. Will it cause any problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had an abortion by a gynecologist few months back. She gave me some tablets and inserted something in my vagina. I had heavy thick bleeding, which reduced after two days. But, I did not go to meet the gynecologist after seven days. Will that cause any problems? I am having regular periods after that. We are planning to have a baby now. Should I be worried about anything?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

If you have had regular periods after that episode, it only means the abortion has been completely expelled. The inner part of the uterus is empty, so it is a good sign.

It is better to leave a gap of three months after abortion for next pregnancy. I hope some investigations were done to find the cause of abortion. I suggest you get the following tests done:

1. Blood sugars - Fasting, postprandial, and HbA1C.
  2. Thyroid profile.
  3. APTT (activated prothrombin time).
  4. Ultrasound scan of the pelvis, to rule out any local cause in the uterus, like polyp or fibroid.

If you have had a pregnancy, no matter what the result was, your chances of a second successful pregnancy is 97 %. So, you have a good chance.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|