Common "Acute Conjunctivitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Acute Conjunctivitis

There is a thin transparent membrane that covers the white part of the eyeball, it is called the conjunctiva. Acute conjunctivitis is the infection or inflammation of the conjunctiva caused by viral or bacterial infection. It causes redness and itching of one or both eyes. If the symptoms do not get better within 24 hours, it is better to get it checked with a medical professional.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What medicines can be taken to treat acute conjunctivits?

Query: Hello doctor,Last week my eyes got red. So, I consulted an eye doctor. The doctor diagnosed it as acute conjunctivitis and prescribed me Vigamox eye drops and Refresh Tears for two weeks. My left eye was cured in three to four days and my right eye was cured only half. I am not able to understand wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The red that you are seeing is an infection. It has just some clotted blood which will go away in 15 days. Do you still have discharge from the right eye? I suggest you change your medication to Moxifloxacin plus Ketorolac Eye Drops twice daily for 10 days and Aquati...  Read Full »

I had sex with my boyfriend who had pink eye. What are my chances of contracting the infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my boyfriend who had pink eye. Although he wore glasses and was not really near my face. What are my chances of contracting it? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Chandwadkar Ashish

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query. It seems to be a type of conjunctivitis. Allergic conjunctivitis mostly caused by some allergens in the spring is never contagious whereas the infectious one is. For this, we have to do a swab test of the discharge or look for other signs ...  Read Full »

Why do my eyes become watery and jelly-like after rubbing?

Query: Hello doctor, I rubbed my eye after I felt something inside it. But the white part of the eye has become watery and jelly-like, and the shape of the eye has changed. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. It seems you have conjunctival chemosis. This suggests inflammation of the conjunctiva. The reason could be a chemical injury, trauma, etc. So, I suggest you use soft steroids and lubricating eyedrops thrice dai...  Read Full »

My eye is swollen, red, and painful. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My eye has swelling and is red. The pain is there, but I have not taken any medications. Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to How is your vision? Are you able to see clearly? Are you facing the same issue in both eyes? Did you get hit in the eye or feel like something has fallen in? I would suggest you consult an ophthalmologist regarding this as soon as possible. The most common causes of ...  Read Full »

How to treat my baby presenting with sticky water oozing out from one eye?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy is 25 days old and he is having sticky water coming from one eye. His eyelids stick together and it is difficult for him to open the eyes.   Read Full »

Dr. M. L. Kothari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It can be due to infection, conjunctivitis, wash the eyes with lukewarm water three to four times a day. You can use Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) eye drops one drop three times a day for five days. Try to put in both the eyes and do not put Kajal.  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.