Q. My baby boy is getting sticky discharge in one eye. What to do?

Dr. M.l. Kothari

My baby boy is 25 days old and he is having sticky water coming from one eye. His eyelids stick together and it is difficult for him to open the eyes.

#

It can be due to infection, conjunctivitis, wash the eyes with lukewarm water three to four times a day. You can use Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) eye drops one drop three times a day for five days. Try to put in both the eyes and do not put Kajal.

He is just 14 days old, can I give drops to him?

#

Yes, you can use drops on the eyes and do not use it orally.

I am giving Vitanova D3 drop one time for my baby. Can I continue giving it? What are the medicines to be given to him in the future?

#

You can give Macbrite D3 800 IU (Cholecalciferol) drops 0.5 ml once a day. You can also give Zincovit drops (Multivitamin) one milliliter once a day and Feris drops (Ferrous ascorbate, Vitamin B9 or Folic acid or Folate) one milliliter once a day from thirty-fourth day of age and you can give syrup Ostebon (Calcium with Vitamin D3) or Ostocalcium (vitamin D3 with Vitamin B12 and Calcium phosphate) 5 ml twice a day. Try to give drops in the afternoons and syrups in the morning and evening. All the above-mentioned medications have to be followed for a year.

My baby is 28 days old now and he is always stretching his body and makes noise the same as we make while stretching our body. He sleeps less. Please suggest.

#

Hold the baby in one arm and keep his head at the elbow joint and the buttocks on the palm of the same arm. Feed the baby for fifteen to twenty minutes. Hold the outer palm of the baby in between the thumb and index finger and press the palm when the baby sleeps. After feeding, put the baby on the left shoulder and pat just behind the stomach level for five minutes to burp on the back of the baby. Baby burps three to five times. After burping, lay down the baby and on the right side of the baby put a pillow below the head maintaining that the head level is above the level of the stomach.

Do not pat over the shoulder and do not feed in a lap. Feed the baby from one breast at a time. Drink lots of water before breastfeeding and during breastfeeding. See for proper burping in the baby during stretching the body. Babies wake up from 12 o'clock at midnight to 4 o'clock. They tend to cry at this time. They play and pass stools and urine frequently. To change this time, wake the baby in the day time from 1 to 4 o'clock. Within seven days, you can see the change in schedule. Feed the baby for every two hours in the day while waking and at the night, only when there is a demand for feeding.

|