Food Allergy

Are tingling tongue and itchy mouth after eating kiwi a sign of allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 17 years old female. I had one kiwi, and it makes my mouth hurt, but it was not too bad, and I liked the flavor. I just managed it. I decided to have two kiwis yesterday, and then my mouth and tongue were tingly and itchy. My stomach was disturbed, and there was a kind of short...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right the symptoms you perceived could be because of kiwi allergy. This is called oral allergy syndrome or pollen food syndrome. The raw proteins in fruit or peel of the fruit cause allergic symptoms. It may occur with certain other fruits, also like peach...  Read Full »

I am allergic to onion. How to avoid it in my diet?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently I got an allergy profile. It reports allergy with onion and rajma. I quitted rajma. I am finding it difficult to quit onion. The onion profile value is 0.69. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your allergy report, it is obvious that you are allergic to onion. The value of 0.69 suggests mild allergy. Still, you can not guarantee that after exposure, a severe reaction can not occur. A positive allergy test indicates sensitization to an allergen but does...  Read Full »

What should be done if a person allergic to egg eat a cake containing egg?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got an egg allergy. I mistakenly ate a cake which contains egg in it. I am having severe stomach pain. What can be done in such a situation? Please suggest any medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, let me clear you that in case of any food or skin allergy, avoidance is the best treatment option. But many times, it is not possible to do so when our food contains some hidden allergens, which cause allergy symptoms, as you said. Egg protein is the complet...  Read Full »

Why do I have severe stomach pain after eating fatty foods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. What could be the cause of a severe stomach pain that happens after eating nuts, seeds, and things with oil in them? By oil, I mean even olive oil and not just greasy foods. This reaction has been happening for a year or so, and I have avoided these foods as ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Severe stomach pain and cramps can be caused by pancreatitis and food allergy. In your case, both are equally probable. Pancreatitis is a common cause of pain that occurs after the intake of oil-rich foods. Food allergy is a diagnosis of exclusion. I suggest the f...  Read Full »

Can Food Allergies Cause Palpitations? Taking Concor 5 For Heart Palpitations.

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first heart palpitations two years ago. One doctor prescribed me Ciplar LA 20 and Ecospirin 75 for three months. The doctor also suggested Dilzem or Flecarite on SOS basis. I got palpitation even after having the above medicines. Dilzem worked on as needed basis but since it w...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and intermittent ectopic. Food allergies will not cause this problem but if you take spicy food, have lack of sleep, mental or physical stress can aggravate the problem. Usually, these medicines have no or littl...  Read Full »

I get allergy on having some type of seafood. Does all sea food belong to the the same family?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 51 years old. I had a severe allergic reaction when I was 7 years old, after eating a crab meat sandwich. It was made with canned crab meat, and I cannot be sure if it was real or artificial. I found large round red hives all over my body, which turned to rings before healing. I n...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Allergy reaction is due to a specific particular protein or substance. Each group has a different type of protein. It varies from each. There are several types of shellfish, each containing different proteins like crustaceans include crabs, lobster, crayfish, shrimp,...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for severe eczema?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some questions regarding allergy. When I was a kid, I had eczema on my mid-arms. Then it went away. Some years ago, when I was around 22, it came back aggressively on my face, neck, and shoulders. Then I was referred to blood food allergy tests (IgE). A lot of allergens was de...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Yes, some food can cause urticaria and rarely angioedema like peanut and seafood allergies. 2. But, there is no significance of the test you have mentioned, as that is a very nonspecific kind of test and most of the people who get themselves tested found themselv...  Read Full »

How to know whether I am allergic to mango or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I have mango allergy, and I am wondering if mango concentrate can cause an allergic reaction. I had mango juice, and I did not break out at all, but last year I had an allergic reaction that was from mangoes or peal, that were hives and swelling. Before I turned 18, I was eating mango...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to identify which part of the mango are you allergic to and avoid it. Is it the juice or for the peal? Also, any particular variety of mango needs to be identified like banganapalli, alphonso, etc. If recurring with all the variety of mangoes then try to avo...  Read Full »

Baby with egg white allergy ate egg accidentally. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor,My 2 year 9 months old daughter was tested and she has an egg white allergy. She ate scrambled eggs accidentally. Should I worry? Is it a problem if the egg is scrambled? Please, can you advise?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. However, please watch for symptoms of allergy like hives and severe itching and in worst case scenario breathlessness. If breathlessness occurs, it is best to rush the child to the nearest hospital. The other symptoms are mostly controlled by syrup Allegra...  Read Full »

Is it okay to bring peanut butter on an airplane?

Query: Hi doctor, Is that fine to bring peanut butter (PB) on an airplane? I would like to know the ways that bringing PB on a plane might or might not pose a threat to others? What should you do if you are bringing PB and if you have an allergy and want to keep safe in case someone else brings some on th...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have asked an interesting question. Peanut allergy is one of the most severe food allergies. It can cause itchiness, urticaria, swelling, eczema, sneezing, asthma, abdominal pain, drop in blood pressure and cardiac arrest. It may even result in anaphylactic death i...  Read Full »