Q. Is Xanax a correct medicine for ADHD?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Published on Sep 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

My son, who is 26 years old, now has been diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5 years old. He went to various psychiatrist to make sure that he is actually ADHD. Six doctors confirmed that he has ADHD and two doctors said he has bipolar disorder. He says that he was given Xanax as a treatment for the anxiety caused by ADHD and bipolar. He takes 10 tablets of 1 mg Xanax a day and sometimes, 11 to 12 tablets a day. Occasionally, when he takes less tablets, he smokes weed. He says that the combination of 5 to 8 tablets of Xanax with weed is equal to 10 tablets of 1 mg Xanax a day. He also takes tablet 300 mg Seroquel at night to help him sleep. My questions are is Xanax considered a medication for ADHD or bipolar? Is it advised to take 10 to 12 tablets of 1 mg Xanax a day? Is it fine to mix Xanax with weed? What is the appropriate medication for ADHD and bipolar? If xanax is appropriate for ADHD and bipolar, then how much is the appropriate dosage? Does he need to go to rehabilitation to clean his body of the high amount of Xanax and weed? Is it compulsory to continue a low dose of Xanax lifelong?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder also called as ADHD is a problem with hyperactivity and decrease attention.

Bipolar disorder is the disorder in which increase talk, tall claims, decrease need for sleep and high energy are the most common symptoms.

Xanax (Alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine. Xanax is not a suitable drug for ADHD. It can be given in low dose for the acute phase of bipolar.

Also, it is not advisable to take around 10 tablets a day. Both, weed abuse and Xanax abuse are very bad for health.

• For ADHD, I suggest Methylphenidate and Amphetamine. For Bipolar disorder, mood stabilizers and sometimes antipsychotic medicines are prescribed.
  • Xanax can be given in the acute phase of bipolar. The dose of Xanax is 0.5 mg once a day and not for long-term use.
  • He definitely should get admitted in de-addiction center. Xanax should not be started again for him.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Idiopathic hypersomnia is a sleep disorder even less common than narcolepsy, a rare sleep disease. The biggest distinguishing characteristics include differences in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, the absence of cataplexy (a sudden weakness in the muscles while fully co...  Read Full

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article

Article Overview: This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated. Read Article

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition. I believe that ADHD has always been there, but previously, it was not well recogn...  Read Article