Q. What precautions need to be taken to prevent HIV and AIDS?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Oct 27, 2017

What are the precautions that need to be taken to avoid HIV and AIDS?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• In adults, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is acquired mainly through either unprotected sex with an HIV-infected individual or through sharing of needles as in injection drug abusers (IDUs) and accidentally through needle-stick injury in a healthcare professional.
  • In infants, breastmilk from an HIV-positive mother can transmit the infection. HIV can also pass through the placenta from an HIV-positive mother to the fetus.
  • Kissing, handshake and other casual contact do not transmit HIV.
  • Therefore, having protected sex is a good way to prevent HIV in adults. Since sharing needles can lead to HIV, therefore, one should refrain from being a drug addict. Moreover having sex with a single partner who has sex only with you is not associated with any risk of HIV.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

How safe is it to use a shaving blade from a barber shop?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• It is safe. The barber usually changes the blade for each customer. As people are more aware these days, they themselves make sure that the barber changes the blade for each customer.
  • Also, the HIV virus quickly dies outside the body and does not survive in dried blood. Moreover, it is extremely rare and theoretical that a barber would use a blade with fresh unclotted blood on someone immediately after using it on an HIV-positive individual.

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now