iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatryadhdWhat are the symptoms of ADHD?

Kindly explain the symptoms of ADHD.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Divya Banu M

Published At May 27, 2019
Reviewed AtSeptember 22, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I think I have ADHD. I am a teen and cannot go to a psychiatrist as my family does not believe me when I tell them and even claim I pretend to have the symptoms. I think there is something wrong with me and want to know.

Answered by Dr. Anthony Koller


Welcome to icliniq.com.

To answer your question regarding ADHD: Most people with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) will have displayed signs and symptoms of the disorder from a young age, usually before 12 years old. In this case your ADHD will usually have been noticeable and picked up by teachers or parents at a younger age. However, many cases can be missed and only picked up later. In this case I recommend referral to a general practitioner who can more reliably assess the situation. A referral to a psychiatrist can always be made, if necessary. This is also bearing in mind that there can be multiple reasons why you might find difficulties concentrating. Therefore, it is better to proceed slowly and start with a GP consultation before jumping into any treatment of ADHD which can involve powerful medications that can have serious side effects.

Investigations to be done

Investigations to be done are a screening test for ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) like the Conner’s test filled in by both the child’s teacher and parents.

Treatment plan

For treatment, I suggest the patient be seen for a thorough examination by a family practitioner. If there is evidence of potential ADHD, then referral to a psychiatrist or child and a dole scent psychiatrist would be the next step.

Regarding follow up

Follow-up is to be done as per the findings of the GP or psychiatrist. The young patient's symptoms should not be completely ignored, and a proper, thorough investigation should be done in order that something potentially serious is not missed.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anthony Koller
Dr. Anthony Koller


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy