Q. Kindly explain the symptoms of ADHD.

Dr. Anthony Koller
Published on May 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2019

I think I have ADHD. I am a teen and cannot go to a psychiatrist as my family does not believe me when I tell them and even claim I pretend to have the symptoms. I think there is something wrong with me and want to know.

#

To answer your question regarding ADHD:

Most people with ADHD will have displayed signs and symptoms of the disorder from a young age, usually before 12 years old. In this case your ADHD will usually have been noticeable and picked up by teachers or parents at a younger age. However, many cases can be missed and only picked up later. In this case I recommend referral to a general practitioner who can more reliably assess the situation. A referral to a psychiatrist can always be made, if necessary. This is also bearing in mind that there can be multiple reasons why you might find difficulties concentrating. Therefore, it is better to proceed slowly and start with a GP consultation before jumping into any treatment of ADHD which can involve powerful medications that can have serious side effects.

A screening test for ADHD like the Conner’s test filled in by both the child’s teacher and parents.

To be seen for a thorough examination by a family practitioner. If there is evidence of potential ADHD, then referral to a psychiatrist or child and a dole scent psychiatrist would be the next step.

As per the findings of the GP or psychiatrist. The young patients symptoms should not be completely ignored and a proper thorough investigation should be done in order that something potentially serious is not missed.

| 

Common Sports Injuries

Article Overview: Injuries that occur during sport, exercising, or during some athletic activity are called sports injuries. Such injuries can be caused when you are not regularly active or do not warm up properly or during contact sports. The most common areas injured are the knee and ankle. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Injuries that occur during sport, exercising, or during some athletic activity are called sports injuries. Such injuries can be caused when you are not regularly active or do not warm up properly or during contact sports. The most common areas injured are the knee and ankle. What Are the Types of S...  Read Article

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article