Q. My brother behaves aggressively and talks in a negative manner. Please help.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020

My brother is 27 years old. From the last 10-15 days, he is talking too much which is completely opposite of his introvert behavior. He is talking negatively and aggressively. He is not even ready to show to any doctor and strongly condemns showing to a psychiatrist and says will heal up himself and if forced for treatment will harm himself. Please help.

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. Your brother may have either schizophrenia or bipolar type 1 disorder (mania). If he is consuming any substance (alcohol or drugs) then substance may also cause the above symptoms. I am sorry to say that it is difficult to reach a final diagnosis from the above details. You need to take him to the nearest psychiatrist at any cost.

| 

It is becoming very difficult for us to convince him for taking a psychiatric treatment. Last year when he had faced a similar situation, he was helped by his friends and he often abuses them now. We took help from a doctor nearby our home who gave him Toplaz 2.5 mg for 10 days and said he will get ready to get treated through these medicines affect but nothing as such happened.

#

Yes, I can understand your situation. But it is really necessary to take him to the nearest psychiatrist involuntary. You can do one thing, but on your own responsibility, you can start tablet Topaz (Olanzapine) 5 mg one tablet at night for one week then tablet Topaz 10 mg for the next one week. Last time he was on a very low dose and he needs higher doses. You can give him covertly in food. He will improve but it takes time. You need to wait for at least two weeks to see some changes in him. After some improvement, you can take him to a psychiatrist. I am sorry, but if you want to help your brother then you must take the help of his friends and take him to hospital for mental health or psychiatry hospital at least once. Lastly, even you can take the help of the nearest police to take him to the hospital.

| 

Last year when he was treated, he was given tablet Oleanz 10 mg and Clonazepam 0.5 mg. What were these medicines in particular?

#

Tablet Oleanz (Olanzapine) is the same medication as table Tolaz. Tablet Oleanz and tablet Tolaz are a brand name of tablet Olanzapine. Tablet Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medication. It helps to deal with a patient who is suffering from psychosis (schizophrenia or bipolar). It deals symptoms like talking to self due to hearing of voices, suspiciousness, anger outburst due to suspiciousness.

Tablet Clonazepam 0.5mg is a benzodiazepine. It helps to induce sleep and calm patient. It is a sedative (sleeping pills). You can give him Clonazepam 0.5 mg when you want him to calm down and sedate. You can give him a maximum of four tablets of tablet Clonazepam per day and if he is calm and sleeps enough then you need not give him. But you must give him tablet Olanzapine at any cost.

|