Common "Schizophrenia" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Schizophrenia is a severe and chronic mental illness that makes people interpret reality abnormally. It is characterized by delusions, hallucinations, paranoia, disorganized thinking, and disordered behavior. It is usually treated with a combination of antipsychotic drugs and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is schizophrenia an inherited disease?

Query: Hello doctor, We are adopting a child through the foster care system and his mother and grandmother were both diagnosed with schizophrenia. We wanted to talk to someone about the risk factors, what it looks like if he does develop it? If there are things we can do to help prevent it?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If one parent has schizophrenia, there is about a 10 or 12 percent chance for the child to develop the same. (90 percent chance of normal child). If at all the child develops, then some early prodromal symptoms will be apparent in late teens to '20s (15 to 25 years)...  Read Full »

I am experiencing psychological stress. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been experiencing psychological stress lately, and I am concerned about its impact on my mental health. Could you provide insights into the relationship between psychological stress and mental health? Additionally, are there specific strategies or interventions I can incorporate ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello,Welcome to you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your problem and situation. Psychological stress can significantly impact mental health. Chronic stress can lead to various mental health issues such as anxiety disorders and depression, and even exacerbate ...  Read Full »

Why does a person with mood swings suddenly disappear for few days without any reason?

Query: Hello doctor, This is for my boyfriend. I am trying to understand what diagnosis he might have? The symptoms are major mood swings. Sometimes he is angry. Within minutes his face changes do not want to talk or see me, then he disappears for days. Other symptoms: grandiose ideas, changes conversatio...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. It is difficult to diagnose from the above details, but you have to rule out a drug abuse history. Your boyfriend may abuse any substance like alcohol, cannabis, or opioids. He may have psychosis due to substance use disorder. He has to st...  Read Full »

How to help my schizophrenic mother to get rid of her hallucinations and violent screams?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has paranoia schizophrenia for the past 16 years. The delusions have become very absurd and in her story, her immediate family is the culprit. She has very vivid auditory hallucinations and sometimes visual hallucinations. She has refused to see a doctor as she believes they...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It is quite difficult to manage such issues when patient refuses to take the drug. However, nowadays Depot injections are available and their effect lasts up to four weeks. So talk to your psychiatrist regarding the injection. Once she is put on a monthly injection the...  Read Full »

Please give an opinion about my friend who is not normal and repeatedly talking the same thing.

Query: Hello doctor, One of my friends went to a psychiatrist and he gave him an injection saying that it will calm him. After six hours I got a call saying that my friend hit someone because the later said a word to him that made him very angry. I spoke to my friend and he was repeating only the same wo...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeyan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Violence is a psychiatry step from a wide variety of conditions. I will not be able to give an accurate explanation with the available information. More information is needed for an accurate diagnosis. However, the possibilities I am thinking of is manic episode or Sc...  Read Full »

I have epilepsy, anxiety, depression and recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have epilepsy from my childhood. I have anxiety, depression, and anger issues. Lately, I have been on Abilify, Divalproex, Lamotrigine, and Zoloft. I have been recently diagnosed with schizophrenia and do not know what to do about it, could you help me get on track?  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You are already on an effective combination of medication to manage your underlying diagnoses. As you may know, you are on an antipsychotic ( Abilify), anticonvulsants (which are also mood stabilizers- Divalproex and Lamotrigine) and an antidepressant (Zoloft). Have ...  Read Full »

How can I cure schizophrenia without drugs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been prescribed anti-psychotic medication Olanzapine. I have been taking it for 2 to 3 years. I was wondering if there is an alternate route to treatment? Or if there is another solution for a possible cure? I do not want to deal with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medicine. Yes, Olanzapine is available in injectable form. If Olanzapine is causing some effects then it can be changed to other antipsychotic like Aripiprazole, Risperidone or Ziprasidone. You need to take medicines or injectables to keep...  Read Full »

What are the investigations done in a mental illness patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am doing research regarding diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses. Please answer a few questions of mine. What routine medical examinations apart from MMSE and history would you conduct? By this I mean standard routine blood investigations plus other investigations. What clini...  Read Full »

Dr. Soni Ravi Mukundkumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read your queries and shall answer accordingly. Keep in mind that standard procedures for management may differ in different countries. Answers for your questions: In blood investigations we usually go for complete blood count (CBC), liver function tests (LFT)...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment for feeling sad and depressed all the time.

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 21 year old male. I feel quite sad and depressed. I do not even want to perform daily routine. My life is monotonous. I get a lot of negative thoughts. I am so lazy and feel like I do not want to live. I am weak and I lack concentration. I do not feel like going out of my house....  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Symptoms that are commonly present in a depressed patient are: Sad mood. Disturbance of sleep. Disturbance of appetite. Feeling of inappropriate guilt. Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities. Loss of self-esteem. Hopelessness or worthlessness. L...  Read Full »

I am experiencing sudden anxiety attacks. Please help.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am being treated for Schizophrenia which was diagnosed 10 years back, and suffered heart attack during December 2013. I underwent angioplasty (PTCA + Stent) during the same month. I was taking psychiatric drug Sizopin 200mg before the attack; and was asked to abruptly stop the drug af...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: HI, Thanks for posting a query at icliniq. I assume that you are having good life with current medicines baring anxiety attacks. The possible reason for your anxiety attacks are: Current medication- Can you outline the onset of anxiety attacks after starting one or another medication that you are...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.