Q. What can be done to manage an aggressive patient who speaks loud and beats?

Dr. Aneel Kumar

My father is 69 years old. We live in a one room small house. He continuously speaks loudly the whole day long. He beats my elder sister and always argues with everyone at home. Every other day there is quarrel in my house. He is not an alcoholic but he never understands others. He always mentally tortures us, taunts us. It has been impossible for me to live there. This excessive mental torture is too much for me. I am totally frustrated. Please suggest me something otherwise it will be not possible for me to live life. He is rude to us only and listens to the radio. He is suffering from thyroid and taking 50 mg medicine for this.

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Psychiatry
#

I understand the problem you are facing, your father has some definite problems. If this behavior is since long like from his middle age then it may be a bipolar disorder. If this behavior has occurred during old age then it is pathological means he needs to be examined and investigated properly for all health-related test for diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, liver function test, renal function test, test related to prostate and most importantly the MRI brain which may reflect the sings of dementia and Parkinson's disease. His memory needs to be assessed and related to his mental condition. He immediately needs some psychiatric medication to control his behavior which may be mood stabilizers and/or psychotropic medication, it would be multidisciplinary approach means physician, neurologist, and psychiatrist.

|