Q. Why do I have excessive sweating after stopping the habit of alcohol drinking?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I am a 36-year-old male. I was a daily drinker of hard alcohol for the past four years. I am in depression and anxiety. I consulted a doctor. The doctor gave me Zoloft and Propranolol. Before few days, I have removed a large ganglion cyst from my right wrist. I made a step to stop the habit of drinking alcohol. I started to have sweating from my head profusely and consistently. I had it for two weeks. Now, the sweating from my head has got subsided, and it moved to my legs. I tested for STD and HIV. It came negative. Why do I have sweating like this? Please help.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

I have gone through your problem, and I can understand your concern. Yes, these symptoms are due to alcohol withdrawal. As you have stopped drinking alcohol, you can have these symptoms along with other symptoms such as tremor, palpitations, anxiety, and other severe withdrawal symptoms such as seizure and delirium. Withdrawal symptoms usually decrease in intensity by one to two weeks. You can take Thiamine and Benzodiazepine.

Benzodiazepine help in reducing these symptoms and promote good sleep. Thiamine is vitamin which is usually deficit in an alcoholic. As you have abstinent around two weeks, you need only a low dose of Benzodiazepine. It will provide adequate sleep and also cause a decrease in sweat. Take tablet Trazodone. It also helps in sleep. You can consult a doctor for a prescription.

|