Q. What are the cons of lowering the legal drinking age?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2019

Medically, is there a big difference between drinking alcohol by an 18 year old and a 21 year old? Some proponents of lowering the legal drinking age believe it will combat the rising problem of binge drinking on college campuses. From a medical perspective, what are the cons of lowering the legal drinking age to 18?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

1. If we keep the legal age and when one is allowed to drink alcohol, there will be fewer damages to the brain development to the young aged people.

2. Alcohol destroys the liver and if we keep a low legal age allowed for drinking, definitely more and more alcoholic hepatitis patients will appear in population.

3. Decreasing the legal age for drinking will have devastating effects on the health of the mass.

I need an evaluation of my annual health check up. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, As part of a corporate health check up, I had undergone liver function test, USG abdomen with pelvis and lipid profile. The impression in the USG was mild hepatomegaly with grade-II fatty changes. I have attached the reports. In LFT the total bilirubin was 1.41, direct bilirubin 0.43,...  Read Full »

Family peace has been ruined because of alcohol. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother-in-law is an alcoholic. He drinks a lot and verbally abuses my sister. When he gets back to normal, he says he does not remember what he said or what wrong he did. He is involved in binge drinking and smoking for the last 15 years. He says he wants to quit but is unable to...  Read Full »