Q. Could you suggest medicine for chest congestion and nasal block?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 32 years old. I am having problems of chest congestion from the last two to three months. Prescribed Allegra was quite soothing by the doctor. I was relieved for at least a month, and the problem has been declining since then. There was nothing concerning with the x-ray report, and CBC reports as well. Nose block has started from last few weeks and ache on one side of the head one day or the other. Mild chest congestion has also re-started with a little bit of wheeze sound. Could you please recommend something?

#

I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is allergic rhinitis and allergic airway disease. That is why you have responded to Allegra (Fexofenadine). This headache also occurs due to nasal congestion.
  • First, you need to identify the trigger like dust exposure, cold and in many patients, it is due to pollution. So, try to protect yourself from these if possible. You should also try chest physiotherapy and yoga.
  • In medicine, the first thing is that I suggest you buy Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) instead of Allegra, which is a better antiallergic.
  • For your wheezing, at this moment you should keep MDI Albuterol (metered-dose inhaler) ready with you, and whenever wheezing or shortness of breath occurs, you should have two puffs of it whenever needed up to four to six times a day.
  • You should also do steam inhalation four to six times a day. If congestion is persistent, then we can suggest syrup Ascoril (combination of Terbutaline, Bromhexine, and Guaifenesin) as well later.
  • I guess you do not smoke. If not, then try to quit.
  • We will see the response with this, and if not adequately responding then we will have to add one more MDI. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|