Q. Could you suggest medicine for chest congestion and nasal block?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am 32 years old. I am having problems of chest congestion from the last two to three months. Prescribed Allegra was quite soothing by the doctor. I was relieved for at least a month, and the problem has been declining since then. There was nothing concerning with the x-ray report, and CBC reports as well. Nose block has started from last few weeks and ache on one side of the head one day or the other. Mild chest congestion has also re-started with a little bit of wheeze sound. Could you please recommend something?



Welcome to

I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is allergic rhinitis and allergic airway disease. That is why you have responded to Allegra (Fexofenadine). This headache also occurs due to nasal congestion. First, you need to identify the trigger like dust exposure, cold and in many patients, it is due to pollution. So, try to protect yourself from these if possible. You should also try chest physiotherapy and yoga. In medicine, the first thing is that I suggest you buy Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) instead of Allegra, which is a better antiallergic. You need to use nasal spray Duonase (Azelastine and Fluticasone) twice a day till this exacerbation is resolved. For your wheezing, at this moment you should keep MDI Albuterol (metered-dose inhaler) ready with you, and whenever wheezing or shortness of breath occurs, you should have two puffs of it whenever needed up to four to six times a day. You should also do steam inhalation four to six times a day. If congestion is persistent, then we can suggest syrup Ascoril (combination of Terbutaline, Bromhexine, and Guaifenesin) as well later. I guess you do not smoke. If not, then try to quit. We will see the response with this, and if not adequately responding then we will have to add one more MDI. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have been in quarantine for nearly 12 days for COVID-19. Why is my recovery very slow?

If Albuterol does not help you, you can take a Corticosteroid inhaler for cough ... I was diagnosed with mild asthma 5 years but for the most, i dont need the inhaler for my everyday activities u...   Read full

What can be done for allergic rhinitis?

.. your concern. If possible kindly send photo of the wheals you are getting. Also, I would need to know how frequently you get them. Meanwhile, you can use the following medicine to help you with these symptoms. Levocetirizine 5mg, Montelukast 10 mg...   Read full

What could be the best medicine for allergic rhinitis?

.. of Azelastine hydrochloride and Fluticasone propionate) is a topical corticosteroid and is safe. Yes, you can take Paracetamol for fever. For allergic rhinitis, topical steroids are to be taken. Alternative treatment is to avoid the possible alle...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.