Q. What causes chronic cough?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2020

I am a woman, 23. I am 5'2" 137 pds. I am currently taking Cetirizine. I have been coughing badly for the past 5 months when I got my new job at a preschool. I went to the doctor, he prescribed me the before mentioned drug. Although, when it gets really cold, I cough phlegm and other times a dry cough. I would like to have a second opinion on what I should do because I am tired of coughing.

#

In addition to Cetirizine you need to take a bronchodilator medicine that will help bring out the phlegm better. Salbutamol (Albuterol) is an excellent drug that helps widen the small airway passages and bring out the mucus. It is available in the form of inhalers. Take 2 puffs thrice daily and gradually taper over a period of 2 weeks. Whenever the climate changes or you start coughing start on the inhaler.

Second, when there is excessive mucus, in addition to the inhaler take ambroxol hydrochloride medicine also. It is available in syrup and tablet formulations. You require 30 mg. If the phlegm is green in color and tastes bad, you may require a short course of antibiotic. It is also advisable you wear masks when you go outside, avoid cold air in the mornings and late evenings, take plenty of warm fluids (adequate hydration), use a multivitamin temporarily, have healthy diet rich in vegetables and fruits. Taking garlic is helpful as it is known to have ingredients that help relieve asthma and associated bronchoconstriction.

|