Q. My 3. 3 year old son has allergic rhinitis. Can I use Budecord inhaler?

Answered by Dr. Anshuman Srivastava and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Allergic Rhinitis or Inhaled Steroids? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son is 3.3 years old. Last year, he had three episodes of allergic rhinitis and one episode of allergic conjunctivitis. This year, our pediatrician asked us to get an allergy test done, and he put my son on Momeflo, Nukast 4, and Levolin inhaler. We found out that he is allergic to dust mites, oranges, and mutton. We are taking precautions and medicines as advised. Beginning this year, he got a cold which lasted for around 15 days. But, the doctor did not give any new medicine.

Now, my son has a mild cough at night, but he is fine during the day. He got allergic conjunctivitis around the same time, and he we used Pataday and Mosi D for a week. Immediately after starting the eye drops, we saw him develop a cold and after few days a dry cough. Now he has started Budecort inhaler, which is to be continued for eight weeks. I am fine with the medicines, but as it is a steroid, I am worried about the prolonged use. Please advice.

Please note that I have never seen him wheeze or have breathing difficulty. All the episodes of cold start with a runny nose and if left untreated for a week, he develops a cough. He has no episode which has started with a cough directly, so somehow I feel it is the rhinitis that is not controlled. And the doctor says that he has asthma, which I do not see symptoms of. Please guide. What is going on with my son?