Q. How can alopecia be treated?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a problem with alopecia for four months. My hair is not growing. Kindly suggest some medicine. I am on vitamins.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The diagnosis is alopecia areata.

The most effective treatment will be intralesional steroid injection. This is the injection given straight to the bald area.

You need to meet a dermatologist for this.

I suggest you take

• Mometasone cream - apply to the hairless area at night.
  • Tacrolimus 0.1% ointment - apply to the hairless area in the morning.
  • Do this treatment for two months. But, the injection is very effective. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Of late, I have a lot of health issues including weight gain, hair loss, and easy bruising. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, and I weigh 185 lbs. I feel awful. Please tell me what you think may be wrong. Most of my adult life weight was 150 to 155 lbs. A sudden weight gain started five years ago. My weight is now always in the 175 to 185 range. I eat a...  Read Full »

Would it be better to get steroid injection before ablation for neck pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had right-sided chronic cervical neck pain for the past six months. My MRI revealed the following. Bulging discs, C6-C7 and C5-C6 osteophytes and severe bilateral stenosis and typical degenerative disc disease. I visited a pain doctor hoping for a cervical steroid procedure, but in...  Read Full »

Are low WBC, alopecia in pubic area, and decrease in semen related to each other?

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed a small triangular bald spot in my beard three weeks ago. It was likely alopecia areata. Saw my dermatologist last week, she said it was likely folliculitis. I have had folliculitis before in the same area and it was much different. She is the doctor. So I accepted and moved...  Read Full »