Q. I have thinning of hair with alopecia areata. What is the treatment?

Dr. Hari Pathave
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2020

I had hair thinning before the alopecia areata started too, a couple of months before. And I am currently on no medications.

#

Yes, it is alopecia areata and the hair loss is telogen effluvium with possibly androgenetic alopecia. Telogen effluvium can be caused by any recent prior illness, thyroid problem, low iron Hb, nutrition related, stress, etc.

For alopecia areata, you can start Mometasone ointment, apply at night for 15 days, Tacrolimus 0.01% ointment at morning and afternoon for one month.

For Telogen effluvium/androgenetic alopecia, apply Minoxidil 5% lotion at night and hair serum (Q sera) at daytime, tablet Follihair new (Biotin and aminoacids) one tablet in the morning after food, Orofer XT (Ferrous ascorbate and Folic acid) one tablet at night after food all for one month.

You can do CBC (complete blood count), serum ferritin, and fasting thyroid profile. For confirmation of diagnosis, you can go for trichoscopy and skin punch biopsy. Hair fall takes one and a half months to two months to stop most of the time, and regrowth and density will regain in extra three to four months. So it will take time. By the time you need to do the above investigations.

I have noticed thin hairs recently on my alopecia areata spot, which I am assuming are signs of regrowth (some of them can be seen in the picture I have sent you), but if it was regrowth why is the rest of my hair thinning?

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, there is regrowth of hairs in alopecia areata and they will take time to grow for that you need to take above treatment and also maintenance treatment. As I said above, there are some reasons for the thining of hairs in the other part of the scalp.

|